My first functions

Since I am repeating a lot of code in my script I decided it may be worth creating functions for simplification. Yep. Not as easy as I thought. First I defined all my functions below the code that is calling them so lots of red text came back. I moved the functions to the top so it’s better now but still getting issues. E.g. one of my variables reads text from a file with Get-Content giving System.String. Then another variable, lets call it $match goes through that text and selects only the lines that match certain condition. System.String again. Now I pass the variable to my function
Function ($match){
do sth…
}
When I call $match once it gets into the function to check it’s value I get not only the lines matching my condition but also the path to the .txt file and Get-Member returns System.String and System.Object at the same time.
No idea how the file path got into my $match variable and how to get it out from there.

We’d have to see more code, but I suspect that you’re running into other commands that are sending something to the output stream. It’s a common gotcha in PowerShell until you get a feel for it. For example, let’s say you’re writing a function that for whatever reason, creates a new file and then outputs a number. The caller of the function is expecting just a number in the result:

function Do-Something
{
    $guid = [guid]::NewGuid().Guid
    New-Item $env:temp\$guid.txt

return 5
}

$result = Do-Something

$result is actually going to be an array containing a FileInfo object and the number 5, because New-Item also creates output. In your functions, you need to identify these spots and prevent them from polluting your output stream. There are three ways you can do this:

• Assign the result of a command to a variable. You can assign to $null if you just want to discard the result.
  • Cast the result of a command to type [void]. You typically have to put parentheses around the whole command for that to work.
  • Pipe a command to Out-Null. This tends to be much slower than the other options, but looks nicer.

Of the three, I tend to stick to "$null = " for performance reasons. So the revised function might look like this:

function Do-Something
{
    $guid = [guid]::NewGuid().Guid
    $null = New-Item $env:temp\$guid.txt

return 5
}

I made a blog post on how to identify these commands some time ago: https://davewyatt.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/tracking-down-commands-that-are-polluting-your-pipeline/

Ah but in your example the issue comes up within {} of your function but in mine it’s before it even gets there as $match is a parameter I want to pass to the function and the only time it’s hit is where I declare that
$match = $list | where {$_ -match ‘ABC’} | gm - returns string - tested with setting a break point

to select all lines within another variable I declared before declaring $match

$list = Get-Content ‘.\test.txt’ | gm - returns string - tested with setting a break point

That $match then shows up when declaring parameters in

Function Do-Something($match){ - tested with setting a break point
… }
I set breakpoints after each of this lines too so I can read the value after the line runs not to get confused with it’s value from the previous run.
Saying that, before the Do-Something function I have a few other functions where one checks for a set of folders if they exist or not and creates them when needed.
Somehow a path to one of the folders slips into my $match variable so when I call it before the Do-Something function gets processed after being called I get
c:\test\Testfolder
some text ABC
some more text ABC
I thought variables declared within a function live only within that function but it turns up it isn’t so. I’m guessing that a variable declared a couple of function before gets into my Do-Something and messes things up.

I’d need to see your full code to troubleshoot. I still say that the cause of this is some command sending output that you’re not preventing, until I have some reason to believe otherwise. :slight_smile:

Silly as it is I cannot publish the whole code due to some company policy even if completely harmless but thanks to your advise I’m moving forward.