Mount drives and access content from inside module function

Example to recreate the issue.
https://gist.github.com/BladeFireLight/893aaa7d21d90d3725d5

When mounting an VHDX either with Mount-WindowsImage or Mount-VHD from inside a function that is part of a module. I cant access the content of that VHDX.
But if the function is dot sourced it works fine.

This is on V4 and V5.
Does anyone know of a workaround?

Does it throw an error? If so could you post the error. Almost sounds like a scope issue, but I can’t see anything that points to that off the bat.

PS H:\downloads\temp2> .\Fails.ps1

DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size

Windows Recovery NTFS       Fixed     Healthy      OK                   1000.34 MB 1023.87 MB

DiskPath: \?\scsi#disk&ven_msft&prod_virtual_disk#2&1f4adffe&0&000004#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

PartitionNumber DriveLetter Offset Size Type

1 F 65536 1023.88 MB Recovery

Out-File : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name ‘F’ does not exist.
At H:\downloads\temp2\Test.psm1:22 char:18

• 'test 123' | Out-File $file

•              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:String) [Out-File], DriveNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutFileCommand

Get-ChildItem : Cannot find drive. A drive with the name ‘F’ does not exist.
At H:\downloads\temp2\Test.psm1:23 char:5

• Get-ChildItem $file

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:String) [Get-ChildItem], DriveNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : DriveNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

PS H:\downloads\temp2> .\Always-Work.ps1

DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size

Windows Recovery NTFS       Fixed     Healthy      OK                   1000.34 MB 1023.87 MB

DiskPath: \?\scsi#disk&ven_msft&prod_virtual_disk#2&1f4adffe&0&000005#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

Directory: F:\

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name

-a---- 8/20/2015 11:58 AM 22 temp.txt

PS H:\downloads\temp2> .\Fails.ps1

DiskPath: \?\scsi#disk&ven_msft&prod_virtual_disk#2&1f4adffe&0&000006#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

Directory: F:\

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name

-a---- 8/20/2015 11:59 AM 22 temp.txt

I found a connect from 2013 regarding this issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/Feedback/Details/804580

Yup, I was about to go there to see if I could find the problem as a bug. Seems like there is a possible workaround posted on connect you could use, if you didn’t already see that.

Workaround that was posted for the connect Bug that was filed.

$mount = Mount-DiskImage $isoPath -PassThru
$driveLetter = ($mount | Get-Volume).DriveLetter

# Have to use New-PSDrive so other cmdlets in this session can see the new drive
New-PSDrive -Name $driveLetter -PSProvider FileSystem -Root "$($driveLetter):\"

// ...do things...

Dismount-DiskImage $mount.ImagePath

I’m going to try that once I get home.

That fix begs the question. If a dot sourced function mounts a drive. then dismounts it. Does the PSDrive not get removed and the Module function just reuses it.

More testing is in order.

That workaround mentioned did work. but poking around if found that after assigning a letter to the volume all I need to do was run
$null = get-psdrive
and the drive would be available. Not really a true fix but it’s working.