Logon script executing Get-Service command returns services name == display name

Hello there,

I have a logon script written in PowerShell that executes the Get-Service command (this is the full, unaltered source-code of the script).

$ErrorActionPreference="Continue"
$VerbosePreference="Continue"
$date=Get-Date -Format "yyyyMMddHHmmss"

$Path="C:\@Softs\ScriptDeployment"
$LogPath="$Path\Logs"
$LogFile="$LogPath\LogonScript-$date.txt"

try { Start-Transcript $LogFile } catch { Start-Transcript $LogFile -Force }

cd C:\@Softs\Template

Get-Service

Stop-Transcript

However, the result of the command shows all the services with the same name and display name (this is copy-pasted directly from the transcript file) :

Status   Name               DisplayName
------   ----               -----------
Running  AdobeARMservice    AdobeARMservice
Stopped  AJRouter           AJRouter
Stopped  ALG                ALG
Stopped  AppIDSvc           AppIDSvc
Stopped  Appinfo            Appinfo
[...]

I just don’t understand why. If I execute the Get-Service command in a PowerShell prompt directly on the machine, I get the expected result (i.e. services names and display names are different).

I am at a loss, and so are ChatGPT and Copilot. And I cannot find anything about that exact issue through Google searches.

Any help is appreciated.

Just to confirm, the transcript file is the output you copied where the name and displayname are the same?

If so, I’m not able to reproduce. I used basically the same code you shared and the transcript file looks normal

Status   Name               DisplayName
------   ----               -----------
Running  AdobeARMservice    Adobe Acrobat Update Service
Running  AdobeUpdateService AdobeUpdateService

can you confirm where you are seeing that? I ran the code ad-hoc not as a login script but I’d think it’d be no different. Is this all the code? you’re not manipulating it and outputting it in another fashion? This isn’t a seperate log file where someone is doing custom output?

And I did the same with the same results as @dotnVo. One can only suspect it has to do with being run as a login script ??

1 Like

I have edited my post to answer your questions, but in short yes I have provided the full, unaltered source-code of the script and the service table is copy-pasted directly from the transcript file (except the […] part at the end, which I have added).

I just tested your code exactly as it is and I cannot reproduce the behaviour you’re stating. :man_shrugging:t3:

Since you basically just have the list of services in your transcript, have you tried piping the output to Out-File instead?

Regardless of that: What’s the actual purpose of that script? Whatfor do you need this list and why are you changing the directory in it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.