Invoke-Command + Get-ChildItem = Output?

Hello!

I have a script that used Start-Job to start Get-ChildItem script. For reasons that are too long to get into, I wanted to try this methodology with Invoke-Command instead!

The command looks like this:

$a = Invoke-Command -AsJob -ComputerName $env:computername -ScriptBlock {
Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ *.exe }
echo $a

However, instead of $a containing the output for the Get-Childitem command ( a list of executables), it instead contains the output for the job!

Id Name PSJobTypeName State HasMoreData Location Command
-- ---- ------------- ----- ----------- -------- -------
15 Job15 RemoteJob Running True WIN-GNNG6UDHR6J ...  

What am I doing wrong?
I have attempted to use Receive-Job but have had no success yet. This is the error I get when I try to receive-job

Connecting to remote server WIN-GNNG6UDHR6J failed with the following error message : Access is denied. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (WIN-GNNG6UDHR6J:String) [], PSRemotingTransportException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AccessDenied,PSSessionStateBroken

Thanks ahead of time!

If you want the output of the remote command to be stored in $a, don’t use the -AsJob switch. If you continue to use a job, then once $a shows a State other than Running, you can use $a | Receive-Job for the output. Access denied errors could be a number of things. I’d make sure the account running Invoke-Command has access to perform the remote command as if it were running the command locally on the target system. Admin elevation may be required in the shell as well.

Here’s an example. In powershell 7 it comes out blank though, lol. For this example, the prompt has to be elevated.

invoke-command localhost -asjob { dir } | receive-job -wait -AutoRemoveJob