Importing Powershell netadapter module

by GuyThomas at 2013-01-16 02:57:51

My question is where does the netadapter module come from? Can you download it?

The situation I have it on my Windows 8 machine, but not on my Windows 7 machine with PowerShel v3.0.

Could I have downloaded netapapter and other modules, and forgotton where? Or do they just come with Windows 8?
by nohandle at 2013-01-16 04:11:52
Hi,
Marco Shaw describes that the cmdlets are shipped with Windows 8 (also ship with the new Server) but were not made available in the Powershell 3 package you can install to Windows 7. See the comment section of this ScriptingGuy article.
by RichardSiddaway at 2013-01-16 11:26:32
The reason you are not seeing the Netadapter module on legacy operating systems even though you have PowerShell v3 installed is that it is based on WMI. On a Windows 8 or 2012 system try this
ls $pshome\modules\NetAdapter

You will see a bunch of files with a cdxml extension. The stands for cmdlet definition XML.

The cmdlet over object technology is used to take a WMI class, wrap it in some XML and publish it as a module. Those WMI classes are for the most part new and only available on Windows 8/2012 which is why you don’t see the module.

Some cmdlets introduced in Windows 8 such as those for scheduled tasks are available on PS 3 on Win 7 BUT anything that is WMI based is unlikely to be found on legacy systems.

This post http://msmvps.com/blogs/richardsiddaway … dules.aspx gives a complete breakdown of the modules installed on Win 8 vs Win 7
by RichardSiddaway at 2013-01-16 11:30:49
I’ve locked the other thread so this should contain the answers
by GuyThomas at 2013-01-16 13:51:12
Brilliant answer, thank you.