Importing CSV to get more info and append to that CSV

I get a csv export from our HR system and I need to append the DN for the user to the csv.

I have figured out how to get the DN:

Import-Csv ‘.\file.csv’ | foreach {Get-QADUser -FirstName $."First Name
" -LastName $
.“Last Name” | select DN }

This exports the information on the screen. I cannot figure out how to pipe it back to the CSV so the new information appears in the row with the other information.

I have been struggling with this for a few weeks and cannot find an answer.

Thank you

So, right now, all you’re outputting to the pipeline is the DN, which comes from the output of Get-QADUser. To select additional information, you’d need to include those properties in your Select command. The Select command will not have access to the information from the original CSV - it will only have access to what is output by Get-QADUser.

If you need your final CSV to include information from both the original CSV, and from Get-QADUser, then a one-liner is going to be an awkward way to do that. You would be better moving to a more script-based approach.

Given that information, what’s the direction, and your next question?

I have not worked with powershell scripts as of yet. That does sound like the best way to go. How would I combine the 2 in a script?

Thank you

function Do-Whatever {

$file = Import-CSV input.csv

foreach ($line in $file) {

$result = Get-QADUser  -FirstName $line.”First Name” -LastName $line.”Last Name”

$out = @{'First Name'=$line."First Name";'Last Name'=$line."Last Name';'DN'=$result.DN

Write-Output $out

}

}

Do-Whatever | Export-CSV output.csv

Something like that, approximately. The idea is to get your input data into a variable ($line) so that it can be re-used along with other data. To create the output, I used a hashtable construct, which is simplistic but should work for you.

I attempted to use the sample provided, but the output file is not as expected. I am attaching the csv file.

Here is the script code:

function Do-Whatever {

$file = Import-CSV adtest.csv

foreach ($line in $file) {

$result = Get-QADUser -FirstName $line.”First Name” -LastName $line.”Last Name”

$out = @{‘First Name’=$line.”First Name”;’Last Name’=$line.”Last Name";'DN’=$result.DN}

Write-Output $out

}

}

Do-Whatever | Export-CSV output.csv -notype

The hashtable isn’t working, is all.

Just before Write-Output, try adding:

$obj = new-object -Type PSObject -Prop $out

And change the Write-Output line to:

Write-Output $obj

That seems to work! Thank you for your help.