Importing ActiveDirectory module 'unable to contact the server' issue.

Guys I am really struggling here. Hoping you can help shed some light on my issue where google searching has not.

I am unable to import-module activedirectory without error:
PS> Import-Module ActiveDirectory
WARNING: Error initializing default drive: ‘Unable to contact the server. This may be because this server does not
exist, it is currently down, or it does not have the Active Directory Web Services running.’.

Then when I look at imported modules, I see its there:
PS> Get-Module

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands

Manifest 1.0.0.0 ActiveDirectory {Add-ADComputerServiceAccount, Add-ADDomainControllerPassw…
Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Management {Add-Computer, Add-Content, Checkpoint-Computer, Clear-Con…

Then when I try ad cmdlets and syntax I get errors. Like the following:

PS> get-aduser -filter {Name -like jones}
Get-ADUser : Unable to contact the server. This may be because this server does not exist, it is currently down, or it
does not have the Active Directory Web Services running.
At line:1 char:1

• Get-ADUser “jones
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (*jones*:ADUser) [Get-ADUser], ADServerDownException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unable to contact the server. This may be because this server does not exist, it is curr
     ently down, or it does not have the Active Directory Web Services running.,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Co
    mmands.GetADUser

Any ideas here?

1. Windows 7 SP1
  2. Windows .NET Framwork 4.0 installed
  3. RSAT x64 for win7 installed
  4. I am running these commands from the win7 workstation. I do not have access to the DC’s.
  5. I can access active directory users and computers just fine. It looks like the DC’s are running SRV 2008 R2.

Thanks,
Tom

you can use

Get-ADUser -Server 'servername'

to contact any AD server

but seens there may be firewall or somethong

Thanks. I did try that as well, I ran a "get-addomaincontroller -discovery -service “adws” and found a proper server. I used that hostname with the -server parameter and still get the same error.

Is it firewall issue? Or could it be permissions issue?

I can use management tool AD Users and Groups FYI.

Thanks,
Tom

It wants to map a PS drive to your default domain. You can override this and just load the commandlets by setting en env variable.

$Env:ADPS_LoadDefaultDrive = 0

This might be a silly question but do you have at least 1 2008 R2 or higher domain controller or a server running ADWS? This is required to use AD cmdlets.

Ron, that worked as far as stopping the error when performing a import-module activedirectory cmdlet but it still fails when trying to use the cmdlets for AD like get-aduser. Same error as above.

Rick, yes I can actually run an ad cmdlet like below and get a proper DC:

Get-ADDomainController -Discover -Service “ADWS”

It returns a DC which I then append to the -server parameter and still doesn’t work.

Any other suggestions? I tried PS version 2, version 4, and version 5 just in case… Same issue.

Tom

Hard to guess what the issue might be. I can only suggest to make you are using the full hostname for the domain controller.