Import CSV file in foreach block

Hi,

I’ve been creating a script which sets a variable to users found in an OU and then runs a foreach script block against them. Everything works fine, however, there’s now a requirement that input for the foreach block to be fed by csv file rather than OU.

Currently I have the following:

$TargetUsers = Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=ContosoUsers,OU=Contoso,DC=domain,DC=local" | Sort-Object UserPrincipalName

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=ContosoUsers,OU=Contoso,DC=domain,DC=local" -Properties * | Select UserPrincipalName | Export-CSV $UsersToMigrate -NoTypeInformation -Force

foreach ($User in $TargetUsers) {
        $Upn = $User.UserPrincipalName
        Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $Upn -LicenseOptions $O365EntE3
        "$($Upn): All Office 365 Enterprise E3 services enabled" | Tee-Object $UserMigrationLog -Append
            Try
            {
                Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $Upn -AddLicenses CompanyName:EMS -ErrorAction Stop            
                "$($Upn): EMS Product enabled" | Tee-Object $UserMigrationLog -Append
            }
            Catch
            {
                Write-Warning "$($Upn): EMS Licence already assigned"
                Write-Output "$($Upn): EMS Licence already assigned" | Out-File $UserMigrationLog -Append
            }
                If ($EmailMigration) {
                    Do
                    { 
                        Start-Sleep -s 15
                        Write-Warning "Please wait. $($Upn) mailbox is currently being setup"
                    }
                    Until (Get-Mailbox -Identity $Upn)
                    "$($Upn): Mailbox ready for migration" | Tee-Object $UserMigrationLog -Append
                }
    }

The export to CSV here is simply exporting the relevant users ready for this process.

I’ve tried a few things but feel like I’m getting in a muddle slightly. I’d prefer not change the script block if possible as took some time to get it working correctly but obviously if there’s no alternative then I’m open to suggestions.

Any ideas?

OK, so I’m thinking along the lines of setting the $TargetUsers variable like this instead:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase 'OU=ContosoUsers,OU=Contoso,OU=Organisation,DC=domain,DC=local' -Properties * | Select UserPrincipalName | Sort UserPrincipalName | Export-CSV $UsersToMigrate -NoTypeInformation -Force

$TargetUsers = Import-Csv "C:\Temp\O365Migration\O365ExchangeMigration#4.csv" | ForEach-Object {Get-ADUser -Filter "UserPrincipalName -like '*$($_.UserPrincipalName)*'" -Properties UserPrincipalName} | Select UserPrincipalName

The only header is UserPrincipalName and this is included when reading the variable $TargetUsers so I looked at then exporting it without the header with the following:

(Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase 'OU=ContosoUsers,OU=Contoso,OU=Organisation,DC=domain,DC=local' -Properties * | Select UserPrincipalName | Sort UserPrincipalName | ConvertTo-Csv -NoTypeInformation) | Select-Object -Skip 1 | Set-Content -Path $UsersToMigrate

…but this then can’t perform the Get-ADUser cmdlet as -like can’t compare to to a header.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Ok, turns out I had it licked above. My second post to set the variable by importing the csv and then piping through to Get-ADUser appears to have worked. I was thinking the header returned when reading the variable $TargetUsers was a row that would be processed but of course this is just what Get-ADuser cmdlet is returning in the same way it would from my original method to obtain users based on the searchbase OU. Obviously only objects returned would be processed and testing has shown this.

Cheers