I want to automate the importing of a .pfx file with no manual interaction

I want to import a .pfx file in an automated way. I am getting a pop up when I run two scripts. I need only one of them to work with no popups.

From PowerShell I tried two different scripts when I opened PowerShell as administrator. Here they are:

#1 script
$pp = C:\foo\bar.pfx
certutil -addstore “CA” -f -user -p ‘PASSWORD’ -importpfx $pp NoRoot

#I doubt NoRoot was needed. I tried the above with NoRoot and the behavior was the same.

#2 script

I am not showing how I got a password into a SecureString. But here is the main part of the code:

Import-PfxCertificate -FilePath $pp Cert:\CurrentUser\My -Password $secretp

Both of these above scripts result in the “Certificate Import Wizard” popping up. I can manually change the “Store Location” in this pop up. I can click “Next” etc. I see the settings that were entered via the script. The problem is that I want to automate the process with no manual interaction. The GUI hurts the goal of automating importing the bar.pfx file.

I get around this problem I tried something completely different. I opened a cmd prompt as administrator. I tried these commands:

certmgr /add /c bar.pfx /s my
certmgr /add /c bar.pfx /s root

Both of the above commands open an MMC window. I can view certificates. I do not see that the commands completed. I tried the above with the /v flag. That provided no more information. Manually interacting with the MMC is not going to work for me.

I’ve now tried three distinct (certutil in PowerShell, Import-PfxCertificate in PowerShell, and certmgr in a command prompt) solutions. They all have failed. What can I do to import this pfx file using automation?

You’re missing quotation marks around the path to your PFX file in both versions of the script. Most of the time this would just give you an error, but by a stroke of luck, windows knows how to “execute” a .pfx file, so it just launches the import wizard before you ever get to your calls to certutil or Import-PfxCertificate.

# this:

# should be this:
$pp = 'C:\foo\bar.pfx'