How to declare a variable as an expression/function

I want to assign a variable to a function. For example, let’s suppose I have variable A. I want variable A to return a random number through the Get-Random method. How do I do that? If I do something like $a = function Test(){Get-Random}, it doesn’t work (it shows nothing as result). If I do $a = {Get-Random}, it returns a script block when I type $a. How could I achieve my want? I want to know how to set a variable as a function return result so that I may define object classes variables as functions so that I can “define” object instantiation object (The variables declared with a syntax such as follows: $A = New-Object ClassName) variables in a quite customized fashion. Can script blocks and invoke expressions help me in that endeavor? Thanks.

I’m unsure if I got what you mean. Why don’t you call the function directly?

I want a variable to be assigned as an expression/function, and, as such, when the variable is called, the expression/function in which the variable represents is called. For example, $A = Get-Random;, from the time I assign the variable $A to the expression/function Get-Random;, I want the variable $A to return a random number every time it is called, and same with something like $A = Function GetRandomNumber(){Get-Random;}, I know these examples do not work according my wants, and I’m just giving an illustrative example.

That’s not what I want. I want to be capable of assigning an expression/function to a variable so that I may do that with variables of objects of classes. This example illustrates what I want (I’ve modified a part of directories to ‘REDACTED’):

PS C:\Users\REDACTED> Class ExampleClass
>> {
>> $ExampleVariable = "10";
>> [Int]ExampleFunction(){return Get-Random -Maximum (Invoke-Expression $this.ExampleVariable);}
>> }
PS C:\Users\REDACTED> $ExampleObject = New-Object ExampleClass;
PS C:\Users\REDACTED> $ExampleObject.ExampleFunction();
PS C:\Users\REDACTED> $ExampleObject.ExampleVariable = "Get-Random -Minimum 10 -Maximum 21";
PS C:\Users\REDACTED> $ExampleObject.ExampleVariable
Get-Random -Minimum 10 -Maximum 21
PS C:\Users\REDACTED>

In this code, I assign the string value “10” to ExampleVariable, so the ExampleFunction is supposed to return a value that is either 0 or an int value between 0 and 10. When I assign string variable ExampleVariable to a string which represents an expression/function that is supposed to return a number (let’s say “A”) that is either 10 or an int between 10 and 21, the function ExampleFunction is supposed to return a number that is either 0 or a number between 0 and A. As you see in the results, there are unexpected results, such as Powershell returning the int 8 when it would be something not possible if the Powershell was functioning correctly, and that happened because the expression/function Invoke-Expression appears to have a tendency to generate problems. What I want is for me to be capable of doing the same thing I did, for example, however without having to “evaluate” any strings and transforming them into expressions/functions, just like I’ve exemplified in the text above the code at the beginning of the response.

What’s the difference between

`Something`

And

`$Something`

?

For the end user, it’s a difference of typing one less character. However, one of these can do what you’re asking for, the other needs additional work to do what you want. Instead of storing a function in a variable, just type the function name.

Function Something {
     ‘Code’
}

Simply call it like normal

Something

If you insist on storing it in a variable, I would make it a scriptblock.

$something = {
    Function Something {
          ‘Code’
    }
    Something 
}

Then you can call it like

. $something

Or

& $somethhng

Doesn’t it seem easier, cleaner, and more logical to just stick with a function?

1 Like

I got this. But it still does not make any sense to me. What would be the advantage of using a variable running a function when called over a normal plain old function call?

It looks to me like it is functioning correctly. When you assign the expression “Get-Random -Minimum 10 -Maximum 21” to the ExampleVariable, it is only affecting the -Maximum option of the Get-Random cmdlet within your ExampleFunction. Did you expect it to just replace the entire ExampleFunction code? It looks like that’s what you’re saying. Take another look.