How to create file on UNC share with DSC?

I’m trying to write up a small DSC PoC (vs Ansible), and as part of that, I want to show that DSC can create files on a share.
I can happily create files locally, but not remotely. (This question follows on from a previous question about copying from a UNC path)
This is my code Configuration Data:

$ConfigurationData = @{
	AllNodes = @(
		@{
			NodeName="Server03"
			PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword=$True
			PSDscAllowDomainUser=$True
		}
	)
}

The Configuration:

Configuration DSCPOCCreateUNCFile {
	param (
		[Parameter()]
		[PSCredential]$Credential
	)
	Import-DscResource -ModuleName PsDesiredStateConfiguration
	Node 'Server03' {
		File HelloWorldUNC {
			DestinationPath = "\\Share\Common\DevOps\PowerShell.DSC.Resources\HelloWorld.txt"
			Ensure		=	"Present"
			Type		=	"File"
			Credential	=	$Credential
			PSDSCRunAsCredential = $Credential
		}
	}
}

Then I run:

$Cred = (Get-Credential)
DSCPOCCopyDSCResources -OutputPath C:\Temp\ -ConfigurationData $ConfigurationData -Credential $Cred

Which outputs my MOF.

I then get this When running the DSC Configuration:

Start-DscConfiguration -Path C:\Temp -Verbose -Wait -Force
VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, ''methodName' = SendConfigurationApply,'className' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' =
root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer Server03 with user sid S-1-5-21-39487305749-1710526943-1674199894-74534.
VERBOSE: [Server03]: LCM:  [ Start  Set      ]
VERBOSE: [Server03]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[File]HelloWorldUNC]
VERBOSE: [Server03]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[File]HelloWorldUNC]
VERBOSE: [Server03]:                            [[File]HelloWorldUNC] Access is denied.
VERBOSE: [Server03]:                            [[File]HelloWorldUNC] The related file/directory is: \\Share\Common\DevOps\PowerShell.DSC.Resources\HelloWorld.txt.
Access is denied. The related file/directory is: \\Share\Common\DevOps\PowerShell.DSC.Resources\HelloWorld.txt.
    + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 5
    + PSComputerName        : Server03

VERBOSE: [Server03]: LCM:  [ End    Set      ]
The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 2
    + PSComputerName        : Server03

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
VERBOSE: Time taken for configuration job to complete is 2.438 seconds

I am entirely stumped, and nothing relevant comes up when I try to google this

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
I can copy from the share fine, and using New-Item from a console is fine too…

hmmm, never tried creating a file in a network share with credential.

just for testing, can you add code for mapping that network share using a script resource. Use DependsOn property for File resource to script resource to make sure file resource executes only after script resource.

[quote quote=170557]hmmm, never tried creating a file in a network share with credential.

just for testing, can you add code for mapping that network share using a script resource. Use DependsOn property for File resource to script resource to make sure file resource executes only after script resource.[/quote]

Do you think I would have to map a drive to write to a UNC path? That seems a bit odd, no?
I will try to find how to do that, thanks.

no, that should not be the solution, but just to nail down the issue.