How do I capture errors and assign to variable?

Hello,

Response from Receive-Job contains some errors and I want to capture those in variable for some reason those are missing from variable but do output to screen when required. Example is below. I’d like $resp variable to contain error message as well, not only “Server1 processing finished”

PS C:\Users\admin>> $Sender | Receive-Job -Keep
The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: [Get-WmiObject], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand
+ PSComputerName : localhost

Server1 Processing finished

PS C:\Users\admin>> $resp = ($Sender | Receive-Job -Keep)
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: [Get-WmiObject], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

PS C:\Users\admin>> $resp
Server1 Processing finished

use Get-Job to get the job object, and pipe it to Get-Member. You should see properties of the job object that provide access to the various pipelines.

Keep in mind that in PowerShell, error messages are never part of the “main” output - and Remoting only captures the “main” output. Errors, warnings, and so on have their own pipelines, or channels. They’re not always capturable with Remoting.

Thanks.
For anybody having the same issue following will capture error stream as well

($Sender | Receive-Job 2>&1)

And just to clarify what that’s doing: It’s taking the error pipeline (#2) and redirecting it into the main output pipeline (#1), mingling the two.

ErrorVariable and ErrorAction seem to work with Receive-Job just like any other cmdlet (though this test was running a local job, not remote. I don’t have another computer up on my home network at the moment for a full test.)

$job = Start-Job -ScriptBlock { Write-Error "This is an error."; Write-Output "This is output." }
$null = $job | Wait-Job
$output = $job | Receive-Job -Keep -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable remoteErrors

$remoteErrors.Count
$remoteErrors[0]

For some reason does not work for me

PS C:\Users\admin>> Receive-Job 661 -Keep -ErrorVariable $RemoteErr

Server1 finished

PS C:\Users\gsuvalian>> $RemoteErr -eq $null
True

You should remove the ‘$’ character from the ‘-ErrorVariable’ parameter. Your code should probably be:

Receive-Job -ID 661 -Keep -ErrorVariable RemoteErr
$RemoteErr -eq $null

You can read more about it if you run

Get-Help about_CommonParameters