Help with Start-job

So im trying to do a robocopy script that uses start job. But before I delved into actually doing the script I figured what’s a better way to test it, with get-childitem.

Please assume $ulog is a log file and location, so example c:_logs\userid.log

And assume admin_path is a unc path

\server\location\homedrive

$scriptblock = "get-childitem -path $admin_path -recurse | out-file $($ulog)" 
$scriptblock

Start-Job -scriptblock { $scriptblock | out-null }

Also, this is part of a loop with 50 lines in it.

What am I missing that I’m not getting any log file.

You have to pass your log file as an argument to your scriptblock

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2009/12/29/how-to-pass-arguments-for-remote-commands/

Well, that seesm to be true, but I can also use the using: scope. I managed to get it work if I put the $using: scope int the actualy start-job line, but if I try to pass a variable into it with $using:scriptblock - that doesn’t work.

So you are saying I need an argument?

Actually the easiest way to do this is finally using the $using scope along with invoke-expression

$scriptblock = do blah

start-job {invoke-expression $using:scriptblock}

Personally I would prefer something like this:

Start-Job -ScriptBlock {get-childitem -path $args[0] -recurse | out-file $args[1] } -ArgumentList $admin_path,$ulog

IMHO that’s more readable.

If I’m going to be switching this to robocopy, i was hoping I can also capture $lastexitcode

I tried to build a string in here-string and then run invoke-expression inside start-job. No luck.

What would be the best way to capture the lastexitcode with an if statement. Iw as trying to prevent myself from looping through all the logs to review for errors.

$user = "userid"

$logs = "C:\temp\_logs"
$elog = $logs + "\$($user)_error.log"

$scriptblock = @"
robocopy c:\fake h:\powershell *.* /e /r: /w:1

# Check exit code
if (($LASTEXITCODE -gt 1) -and ($LASTEXITCODE -lt 16))
{
    $RoboCopyMessage = "EXITCODE: 1-15, Warning, Please refer to the copy log"
	ac -path $elog -value $robocopymessage
}
if ($LASTEXITCODE -eq 16)
{
    $RoboCopyMessage = "EXITCODE: 16, Error, Please refer to the copy Log"
	ac -path $elog -value $robocopymessage
}
"@

Start-job {invoke-expression $using:scriptblock} 

What’s wrong with the straight forward approach? You will have to catch the job afterwards anyway.

Start-job {robocopy $args[0] $args[1] . /e /r:1 /w:1 /  /LOG:$args[2] } -ArgumentList $Source, $Destination, $Logfile

^^
I actually am leaning more towards your approach instead of using invoke-expression.

The problem is I’m doing a copy of 300+ shares to new locations and instead of writing a loop to go thru the robocopy log I was hoping to easily put this in my start-job statement where if there is an error it will tell me by dumping exit code to an error file.

I have it working in small form, but on larger scale, I need it I think.

So lets go with your route

Start-job {robocopy $args[0] $args[1] *.* /e /r:1 /w:1 /  /LOG:$args[2]; if ($lastexitcode -eq 16 {ac -path $args[3] -value $lastexitcode } -ArgumentList $Source, $Destination,$errorpath

That works, but I was hoping to open that up to all of robocopys exit codes

This probably should have been my first question to you: Why would you like to use a job (or jobs) for running a file/folder copy task? Mostly jobs are used to speed up things we usually have to wait for. In my experiences file copy tasks actually never lack on computing power. Usually the I/O capacity of the storage system is the limiting bottle neck. I suspect that even if you manage to run several copy jobs at the same time it will not reduce the overall time consumed by these tasks in summary.

So instead of putting a lot of effort to run these copy jobs in parallel you could just run them one after another - maybe as a scheduled task or just in another Powershell console you minimized to the taskbar.

BTW: parsing the output of a robocopy log is much easier than you might think. :wink:

Olaf -

I’m not doubting that parsing just single threaded robocopy logs aren’t easy, but I don’t just have one source, I could have 6 different sources and 12 different destinations so in this case, the bottleneck is not the storage, but the actual server i’m running this from.

I thought about single threading it, but mgmt wants this to happen faster. But i’m struggling with the error log parsing.

I can then loop all 300 ids through a check log script and for each copy, I have one log, so it’s id = id.log We can easily parse that but I was looking to gather the $lastexitcode and make my life somewhat easier…

But i'm struggling with the error log parsing.
If you need help with that ... ;-) :-D

Did i miss something?

I think you would agree with me that error log on single thread is easier. Its how to concatenate it with regards to catching lastexitcode and writing only a portion of that.

So as of now, i need to have an error log check loop for each file and i have some code that will pull out the errors.

I was hoping to do this as part of start-job but i’m now separating this out

Did i miss something?
Probably not - maybe I did. Sorry, english is not my first language.
I think you would agree with me that error log on single thread is easier. Its how to concatenate it with regards to catching lastexitcode and writing only a portion of that.
I used to think that exit codes from robocopy others than 0 or 1 are actually not helpfull at all. I have to invetigate the log anyway.