Group comparison

Hey all!

So i have been searching the net for awhile without finding any usefull information about my problem. So any hints or how i should approach this problem would be nice. The problem is…

I have 10 groups, an AD-user can only be member of ONE of these groups, how can i solve that? So far i have only found a way to compare two groups. Im not fishing for someone who can write the script for me although i would be happy with some hints on how to approach the problem.

get-aduser -filter * -Properties memberof |
foreach {
$_.memberof
if (-not($_.memberof -match "O365_E1_Basic" -and $_.memberof -match "O365_E1_Teams" )){
Write-Output "User '$($_.samaccountname)' is not a member of either groups" 
}else{
Write-Output "User '$($_.samaccountname)' IS a member of either groups" -Verbose
}
}

Which group should they be in?

What are the names of the 10 groups if you can share that?

$UserList = Get-ADUser -filter * -Properties memberof | Select samAccountName,MemberOf 
foreach ($User in $UserList) {
    Switch ($User.MemberOf) {
        {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Basic'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'O365_E1_Basic'" }
        {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Teams'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'O365_E1_Teams'" }
        {$_ -match 'testgroup1'}    { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'testgroup1'" }
        {$_ -match 'testgroup2'}    { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'testgroup2'" }
    }
}

They can be in one of the groups, but not two. So it will differ between all users.

[quote quote=220524]What are the names of the 10 groups if you can share that?

[/quote]

O365_E1_Basic
O365_E1_Exchange
O365_E1_Onedrive
O365_E1_Teams
O365_E3_All
O365_E3_Exchange
O365_E3_Onedrive
O365_E3_Pro
O365_E3_Teams
O365_EMS

Are all groups, although each member can only be part of one group.

There are a few approaches thinkable … you could use nested loops to determine if a user is member of more than one of the target groups:

$GroupsList = @(
‘O365_E1_Basic’
‘O365_E1_Exchange’
‘O365_E1_Onedrive’
‘O365_E1_Teams’
‘O365_E3_All’
‘O365_E3_Exchange’
‘O365_E3_Onedrive’
‘O365_E3_Pro’
‘O365_E3_Teams’
‘O365_EMS’
)

$MembersList = @(
‘O365_E1_Teams’
‘O365_E3_All’
‘O365_E3_Exchange’
)

foreach($member in $MembersList){
if ($member -in $GroupsList) {
$Count++
}
}
$Count

If the count is more than 1 you’ve got one. :wink:

Or you use Compare-Object:

(Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $GroupsList -DifferenceObject MembersList -IncludeEqual |
    Where-Object {_.SideIndicator -eq ‘==’}).count

If the count is more than 1 you’ve got one. :wink:

So they should only be in the first group they are found in? What if that varies?

[quote quote=220692]So they should only be in the first group they are found in? What if that varies?

[/quote]

If a duplicate is found, i actually only need em in a csv, or other output so “manual labour” can decide wich group they actually should be in.

Did you try my suggested approach?

Hey Olaf!

Yes actually im sitting and testing it now, although im not getting the result i need unfortunatly. I have tried the thing you wrote above. :confused:

[quote quote=220527]

$UserList = Get-ADUser -filter * -Properties memberof | Select samAccountName,MemberOf
foreach ($User in $UserList) {
Switch ($User.MemberOf) {
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Basic'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'O365_E1_Basic'" }
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Teams'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'O365_E1_Teams'" }
{$_ -match 'testgroup1'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'testgroup1'" }
{$_ -match 'testgroup2'} { "User '$($User.samAccountName)' IS a member of 'testgroup2'" }
}
}[/quote]
This method could work, if its somehow possible to add users with duplicate entrys to a string,array or output in someway. Since you cant use "if/else" with switch statements, is there any other way to go around the problem, its pretty much users to go through. (10k approx).

78, you really need to spend enough time to put a clear, well-articulated, precise description to the task you wish performed, such as:
“Problem statement: list users who are members of more than one of the 10 AD groups below”

solution

# https://powershell.org/forums/topic/group-comparison
# Problem statement: list users who are members of more than one of the 10 AD groups below

$ReleventUserList = foreach ($User in $UserList) {
    [PSCustomObject][Ordered]@{
        samAccountName    = $User.samAccountName
        ReleventGroupList = Switch ($User.MemberOf) {
            {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Basic'}    { 'O365_E1_Basic' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Exchange'} { 'O365_E1_Exchange' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Onedrive'} { 'O365_E1_Onedrive' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E1_Teams'}    { 'O365_E1_Teams' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E3_All'}      { 'O365_E3_All' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E3_Exchange'} { 'O365_E3_Exchange' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E3_Onedrive'} { 'O365_E3_Onedrive' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E3_Pro'}      { 'O365_E3_Pro' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_E3_Teams'}    { 'O365_E3_Teams' }
            {$_ -match 'O365_EMS'}         { 'O365_EMS' }
        }
    }
}

$ReleventUserList | where { $_.ReleventGroupList.Count -GT 1 }

[quote quote=220842]78, you really need to spend enough time to put a clear, well-articulated, precise description to the task you wish performed, such as:

“Problem statement: list users who are members of more than one of the 10 AD groups below”

solution

PowerShell
25 lines
<textarea class="ace_text-input" style="opacity: 0; height: 18px; width: 6.59781px; left: 110.38px; top: 342px;" spellcheck="false" wrap="off"></textarea>
# https://powershell.org/forums/topic/group-comparison
# Problem statement: list users who are members of more than one of the 10 AD groups below
$ReleventUserList = foreach ($User in $UserList) {
[PSCustomObject][Ordered]@{
samAccountName = $User.samAccountName
ReleventGroupList = Switch ($User.MemberOf) {
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Basic'} { 'O365_E1_Basic' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Exchange'} { 'O365_E1_Exchange' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Onedrive'} { 'O365_E1_Onedrive' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E1_Teams'} { 'O365_E1_Teams' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E3_All'} { 'O365_E3_All' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E3_Exchange'} { 'O365_E3_Exchange' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E3_Onedrive'} { 'O365_E3_Onedrive' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E3_Pro'} { 'O365_E3_Pro' }
{$_ -match 'O365_E3_Teams'} { 'O365_E3_Teams' }
{$_ -match 'O365_EMS'} { 'O365_EMS' }
}
}
}
$ReleventUserList | where { $_.ReleventGroupList.Count -GT 1 }
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[/quote]

You’re right, I’ll try to improve in the future. Thanks so much, works perfectly !!!

Note the use of the -match operator in the <condition> of the Switch statement and how that requires changing the <condition> from a literal such as ‘O365_E1_Basic’ to a script block such as {$_ -match ‘O365_E1_Basic’}, because $User.MemberOf string would not have exact matches of the strings like ‘O365_E1_Basic’, but it would have larger strings like ‘CN=O365_E1_Basic,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=com’

Ah yes, thats correct. Thank you once again, saved me a week (or more :slight_smile: )

If I got it right this should do the trick actually:

$ReferenceADGroupDNList = @(
    'O365_E1_Basic'
    'O365_E1_Exchange'
    'O365_E1_Onedrive'
    'O365_E1_Teams'
    'O365_E3_All'
    'O365_E3_Exchange'
    'O365_E3_Onedrive'
    'O365_E3_Pro'
    'O365_E3_Teams'
    'O365_EMS'
) | 
    ForEach-Object  {
        Get-ADGroup -Identity $_ | Select-Object -ExpandProperty DistinguishedName
    } |
        Sort-Object

Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties memberof | 
    ForEach-Object {
    $MembershipList = $_.memberof | Sort-Object
    $MembershipCount = (Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $ReferenceADGroupDNList -DifferenceObject $MembershipList -IncludeEqual |
        Where-Object { $_.SideIndicator -eq '==' }).count
    [PSCustomObject]@{
        sAMAccountName = $_.sAMAccountName
        MembershipCount = $MembershipCount
    }
}

The result would be a list of all AD users and their count of memberships in the given list of groups. If there are users with a count of more than 1 membership you can inspect them further.