Grabbing computer name from script with logged in user.

I am able to grabbed log in user per the powershell cmdlet http://www.vexasoft.com/ . It works great and i am not sure how to get the computername with it also . Here is the code i have tried I am trying to line up computer name and who is logged in …I want a csv file.

The csv file contains lots of information but has computer name which is grabs that fine and outputs the current login users. The array has all the computer names if that makes sense.
Here is the command that works for me http://www.vexasoft.com/pages/get-currentuser

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "password!" -AsPlainText -Force

$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("admin", $secpasswd)

$ComputerName  = import-csv C:\Users\mm73493\Desktop\test.csv | select "ComputerName"

$ComputerName | Foreach-object {

$Computer = $_

ForEach-Object { New-Object psobject -Property @{Computer=$Computer} } |

Select-Object Computer}

$ComputerName | Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI -ValueName LastLoggedOnUser  -Credential $mycreds

#$registry = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI -ValueName LastLoggedOnUser -ComputerName 550ACB-4192 -Credential $mycreds

#Write-Host ("this is "+ $values.computer)

#Write-Host ("this is" + $registry) 

Does below work for you?

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString 'password!' -AsPlainText -Force
$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ('admin', $secpasswd)

$ComputerName  = import-csv C:\Users\mm73493\Desktop\test.csv | Select-Object 'ComputerName'

$Result = foreach ($Computer in $ComputerName) {
    $CurrentUser = $Computer | Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI -ValueName LastLoggedOnUser  -Credential $mycreds

New-Object psobject -Property @{
        Computer = $Computer
        CurrentUser = $CurrentUser
    }
}

$Result | Format-Table -AutoSize

Thank you but it did not work. It gave this error . So it does not like how it is doing the computer name. I even wrote the developer but he said that is outside the scope and the cmdlet works fine. Not sure what to fix.

Get-RegistryKey : Could not connect to computer ‘550ACB-4193’.
At line:7 char:33

• … $Computer | Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV …
  •             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:slight_smile: [Get-RegistryKey], COMException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ComputerNotFound,Vexasoft.Cmdlets.GetRegistryKey

I did figure out a way to get it but I do not know how to pipe all the info out to csv file …here is the command . I would love to have the one’s it can not connect to to list the computer name and unable to connect. instead of the huge error.

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "xxxx!" -AsPlainText -Force
$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("admin", $secpasswd)
$servers = (import-csv C:\Users\mm73493\Desktop\test.csv).ComputerName
foreach($server in $servers)
{
    $info = Get-ComputerInfo -ComputerName $server | select ComputerName
    $user = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI -ValueName LastLoggedOnUser -ComputerName $server 
    $info | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name LastLoggedOnUser -Value $user
    $info   
} 

Here is the result from that query.

ComputerName LastLoggedOnUser
------------ ----------------
550ACB-3771  HSC\fg74433     
550ACB-4192  HSC\ej19875     
ACBWNG-3704  HSC\ts30521     
550ACB-0748  HSC\rb43669     
Get-ComputerInfo : Could not connect to computer '550ACB-4193'.
At line:7 char:13
+     $info = Get-ComputerInfo -ComputerName $server | select ComputerN ...
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Get-ComputerInfo], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ComputerNotFound,Vexasoft.Cmdlets.GetComputerInfo

Get-RegistryKey : Could not connect to computer '550ACB-4193'.
At line:8 char:13
+     $user = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ...
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Get-RegistryKey], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ComputerNotFound,Vexasoft.Cmdlets.GetRegistryKey

ACBWINGS-... HSC\kn30297     
550ACB-2701  HSC\ah00051     

PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> 

What’s in your csv file, ips? If you already have the computername why are you trying to retrieve the computername?

if(test-connection $computername -count 1){

$currentuser = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\S…

[pscustomobject]@{
Computer = $computername
CurrentUser = $currentuser
}

}else{

[pscustomobject]@{
Computer = $computername
CurrentUser = ‘offline’
}

}

I have computer name but could not figure out how to grab it and show it without pulling it again. I would love to use the array already and just grab it but I could not send all the info to a csv file.

"ComputerName","lastlogondate","OperatingSystem","OU"
"550ACB-3771","11/15/2015 2:19:40 PM","Windows 7 Professional","OU=ACB OU=550"
"550ACB-4192","11/9/2015 8:00:38 AM","Windows 7 Professional","OU=ACB OU=550"

if you dont want it to output to a csv file remove the “| Export-Csv -Path c:\somepath\somefile.csv”

$info = @()
$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString "xxxx!" -AsPlainText -Force
$servers = (import-csv C:\Users\mm73493\Desktop\test.csv) | select ComputerName
foreach($server in $servers)
{
    if(Test-Connection $server.ComputerName -BufferSize 16 -Count 1 -Quiet){
        $user = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI -ValueName LastLoggedOnUser -ComputerName $server.computername 
        $info += New-Object PSObject -Property([ordered]@{ComputerName = $server.ComputerName; LoggedinUser = $user})
    }
    else{
            $info += New-Object PSObject -Property([ordered]@{ComputerName = $server.ComputerName; LoggedinUser = "Offline"})}
}

$info 
$info | Export-Csv "c:\temp\loggedinusers.csv"

Mark - odd as it did not work as it changed the computername into object name . I know it only likes having computer name as computer ‘550ACB-4193’

Get-RegistryKey : Could not connect to computer '@{ComputerName=CFBNEU-3555}'.
At line:7 char:14
+ ...     $user = Get-RegistryKey HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Get-RegistryKey], COMException

Get-RegistryKey : Could not connect to computer '@{ComputerName=CFBNEU-4003}'.

Get-RegistryKey : Could not connect to computer '@{ComputerName=NEUCFB-0823}'.

fixed again

added test connection as not to generate an error if a machine is turned off

Mark - close as it is now saying which computers are offline but it does not record computer and logged in user anymore. I am still trying to work on it but swamped at work. I noticed the computernames of the computers that it appears it is missing them or something. I just get this without piping it to csv on the screen. It skips the one’s that are online. Then I tried to export to csv and it just gave a lenth value . Just one computer too.

550ACB-4192  is Offline!
ACBWNG-3704  is Offline!
550ACB-4193  is Offline!
550ACB-4189  is Offline!
550ACB-3772  is Offline!
AIMACB-0176  is Offline!
AIMACB-3093  is Offline!
AIMACB-3115  is Offline!
AIMACB-3092  is Offline!

Type $info and see what’s stored in that variable

Try what I have up top and let me know

Oh it is in the info variable. But when I pipe it out with export csv it only shows length 11. I was trying to have the offline computers and computers logged in both in csv file. So it looks like only the computers online go to the info variable and not the offline ones

550ACB-4192  is Offline!
ACBWNG-3704  is Offline!
550ACB-4193  is Offline!
ACBWINGS-2703  is Offline!
550ACB-2701  is Offline!
550ACB-4191  is Offline!
550ACB-4196  is Offline!
550ACB-3772  is Offline!

PS C:\Users\mm73493> $info

ComputerName LoggedinUser
------------ ------------
550ACB-3771  HSC\mb32876 
550ACB-0748  HSC\rb43669 
550ACB-3774  HSC\eb45708 
550ACB-4189  HSC\ll65153 
550ACB-4550  HSC\tj73828 
550ACB-4553  hsc\wb51726 
550ACB-4552  HSC\rb43669 
AIMACB-0229  HSC\ab77393 

So it would be like this

ComputerName LoggedinUser
------------ ------------
550ACB-3771  HSC\mb32876
550ACB-4192  Offline 
550ACB-0748  HSC\rb43669 
550ACB-3774  HSC\eb45708 
550ACB-4189  HSC\ll65153 
550ACB-4550  HSC\tj73828 
550ACB-4553  hsc\wb51726 
550ACB-4552  HSC\rb43669 
AIMACB-0229  HSC\ab77393

Then I should be able to save that to csv. Of course it is in the same order as the original computers. So it matches up to the original csv file. As I will import it in.

fixed for you above code

Mark that is stellar work. It works like a champ and I learned so much by reading your code and what you did. Thank you so much. I wish i was as good as you with powershell. Thanks for all the lessons.

LOL actually I have only been doing powershell for a little over 2 months the real big hitters are the guys like Anthony Krebs, Don Jones and Curtis Smith. I would be posting questions every day but I know there busy so I exhaust the internet first. I try and help out as much as I can on this site with my very limited knowledge. If you look above Anthony Krebs provided a solution just like mine the only difference was I added the error handling for offline servers so you would not receive that misleading error about computer does not exist. Just remember in powershell there are many ways to do things always challenge yourself and what I like to do is save my first attempts and revisit them a month later you will be surprised at how much you will have improved in such a short time.