Getting Nuget packages for base64url encoding

I am working on configuring a JWT (JSON Web Token) for connection to Box. I am hoping to make it so others can use this when I am done.

I got these packages from Nuget for the encoder:

I know I can download the Nuget cli tool with this command:
choco install nuget.commandline /y /f

I used Visual Studio to make these packages available, and then pulled them into PowerShell like this:

#MS Owin for base64url encoding
$Owin = 'C:\folder\tf\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Owin.1.0\lib\net40\Owin.dll'
$msOwin = 'C:\folder\tf\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Microsoft.Owin.3.0.1\lib\net45\Microsoft.Owin.dll'
$msOwinSec = 'C:\folder\tf\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Microsoft.Owin.Security.3.0.1\lib\net45\Microsoft.Owin.Security.dll'
Add-Type -Path $Owin 
Add-Type -Path $msOwin
Add-Type -Path $msOwinSec

# get a base64url encoder object
$encoder = New-Object Microsoft.Owin.Security.DataHandler.Encoder.Base64UrlTextEncoder

What I want to know, is could I have made those packages available using PowerShell or the Nuget CLI through PowerShell?

you dont need external classes to work with uri’s
Uri Class
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.uri(v=vs.110).aspx

Convert.ToBase64String Method (Byte)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dhx0d524(v=vs.110).aspx

you only need to know the encoding rules

I don’t know how to make that usable in PowerShell.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do:

#MS Owin for base64url encoding
$Owin = 'C:\EEDevOps\TeamFoundation\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Owin.1.0\lib\net40\Owin.dll'
$msOwin = 'C:\EEDevOps\TeamFoundation\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Microsoft.Owin.3.0.1\lib\net45\Microsoft.Owin.dll'
$msOwinSec = 'C:\EEDevOps\TeamFoundation\DevOps\Box\BoxConnect\packages\Microsoft.Owin.Security.3.0.1\lib\net45\Microsoft.Owin.Security.dll'
Add-Type -Path $Owin 
Add-Type -Path $msOwin
Add-Type -Path $msOwinSec

# get a base64url encoder object
$encoder = New-Object Microsoft.Owin.Security.DataHandler.Encoder.Base64UrlTextEncoder
# we then serialize to UTF-8 bytes, then base64url encode the claims
$header = $encoder.Encode([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($rawheader))
$claims = $encoder.Encode([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($rawclaims))

Can you walk me through how I can use what you are explaining?

I see your example in other topic, the blog post from which you get it and I still believe you don’t need owin :slight_smile:

# instead of
# [...]
$header = $encoder.Encode([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($rawheader))
# you can use
$header = [Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($rawheader)) -replace '='

and get the same result