Getting error about use of & (ampersand) in script

Hello,

I’m getting error below

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-Module MyWebAdministration
Ampersand not allowed. The & operator is reserved for future use; use “&” to pass ampersand as a string.
At \prod\serverops\BuildStandards\deployment\modules\MyWebAdministration\scripts\cleanup.ps1:129 char:40

•         LogOutput ($Sender | Receive-Job *>& <<<< 1)

• CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:slight_smile: , ParseException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmpersandNotAllowed

The offending code is below

LogOutput ($Sender | Receive-Job *>&1)

I believe I’m using redirection properly, in fact this is example taken from “about_redirection” helpfile
What gives?

You can’t really do redirection in a subexpression in quite that way, I don’t think. Give me a sec to experiment.

Doing something like:

$x = (“localhost” | get-service *>&1)

Seems to work OK. You might try doing that - capturing it into a variable, and then passing the variable. I obviously can’t experiment with your exact code, but the above worked for me.

This did not work, my code is below and still the same issue. This happens during module-import, not actual job run

$temp = ($Sender | Receive-Job *>&1)
LogOutput ($temp)

PS C:\Windows\system32> $PSVersionTable

Name Value

CLRVersion 2.0.50727.5485
BuildVersion 6.1.7601.17514
PSVersion 2.0
WSManStackVersion 2.0
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0}
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.1

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Ah.

That redirection doesn’t exist in v2. It was introduced in v3.

What would be the solution for V2 if you want to redirect both errors and not errors of command to same output?

Unfortunately, the solution is to upgrade to v3. v2 doesn’t really provide the same pipe redirection capability. You’ll need to look at capturing errors some other way.

GS,

Some redirection did not exist in 2.0, including the all * notation you are using, but I believe it is possible to redirect the error stream. If that’s all you need, try:
2>&1

I need both error and success stream to go to the same output.

Tim is right if you only need the error and success streams

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh847746(v=wps.620).aspx
2>&1 Sends errors (2) and success output (1) to the success output stream.

Where *>&1 returns your original error:

PS F:\temp> $test = "hotfix.html", "waka.do" | Get-ChildItem *>&1 & : Ampersand not allowed. The & operator is reserved for future use; use "&" to pass ampersand as a string. + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmpersandNotAllowed

2>&1 will place your error messages in your standard output stream:
Below I am storing that returned value in a variable as Don mentioned.

PS F:\temp> $test = ("hotfix.html", "waka.do", "filter.xml" | Get-ChildItem 2>&1) PS F:\temp> $test
Directory: F:\temp

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name

-a— 7/28/2015 8:14 AM 628502 hotfix.html
Get-ChildItem : Cannot find path ‘F:\temp\waka.do’ because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:64

• $test = (“hotfix.html”, “waka.do”, “filter.xml” | Get-ChildItem <<<&1)
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:\temp\waka.do:String) [Get-ChildItem], ItemNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

-a— 10/22/2014 11:10 AM 1201 filter.xml