Getting Computer name, serial number and model of list of machines

How can I get this script to show serial number as well as name and model in the output? Also I would like to output to Excel.
Also, is using a txt file list the best way to input the list of PCs?

I am just getting my feet wet in PS Scripting so would love some assistance.

$computers = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt

Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $computers | select name,model
Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $computers | select serialnumber

You will have to create an object and concatenate the output of your 2 commands. Then you can pipe that output to whatever you like / need. In my example here it’s piped to a csv file what’s almost perfect to open it in Excel. :wink:

$computer = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt
$Output = Foreach($C in $computer){
$System = Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name,Model
$BIOS = Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property SerialNumber
[PSCustomObject]@{
ComputerName = $C
Name = $System.Name
Model = $System.Model
SerialNumber = $BIOS.SerialNumber
}
}
$Output

$Output |Export-Csv -Path c:\pstest\Result.csv -NoTypeInformation

If you just have a simple list of items, a text file with a single item on each line is just fine.

That’s brilliant, thanks, is there any way to get primary user for the list of devices generated in this script?

You could add on a line on 5 like:

$DomainUsers = Get-WmiObject Win32_NetworkLoginProfile -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name 

and then bring it in on 9/10 with:

Users = $DomainUsers.Name 

If not exactly what your looking for, Win32_NetworkLoginProfile seems to be close to what your seeking and should have an answer at least.

I settled on this using Configuration Manager. Though now I run into RPC server unavailable errors for some of the machines. Though that’s a separate issue.
Thanks for your help and suggestions. Powershell is a powerful tool that I am keen to learn.

if (-not (Get-Module ConfigurationManager)) 
 { 
 Write-Host “Loading Configuration Manager" 
import-module ($Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH.Substring(0,$Env:SMS_ADMIN_UI_PATH.Length-5) + '\ConfigurationManager.psd1') 
 $PSD = Get-PSDrive -PSProvider CMSite 
 $SiteCode = $PSD.Name 
 CD “$($PSD):” 
} 
ELSE {Write-Host “Configuration Manager Already Loaded”}

$computer = Get-Content c:\pstest\computerlist.txt
$Output = Foreach($C in $computer){
    $System = Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property Name,Model
    $BIOS = Get-WmiObject Win32_BIOS -ComputerName $C | Select-Object -Property SerialNumber
	$User = Get-CMUserDeviceAffinity -DeviceName $c | Select-Object -Property UniqueUserName
        [PSCustomObject]@{
                ComputerName = $C
		Name = $System.Name
		Model = $System.Model
        SerialNumber = $BIOS.SerialNumber
        User = $User.UniqueUserName
	}
}
$Output

$Output |Export-Csv -Path c:\pstest\Result.csv -NoTypeInformation

If you like to learn a little more about Powershell and spend some time you could take a look at this:
MVA Advanced Tools and Scripting with Powershell 3.0 Jump Start
When they come to the lession for error handling that fits almost prefectly to your RPC unavailable errors you mentioned. :wink: