I have the ff:

$xl = New-Object -ComObject Excel.Application

$xlEnum = New-Object -TypeName PSObject

# get all Excel exported types of type Enum

$xl.GetType().Assembly.GetExportedTypes() |

Where-object {$_.BaseType -eq "System.enum"} | Out-gridview

# -- the final intent is the ff:

Sort-object -property Name -Descending | Out-gridview

The goal is to get a listing of all the EXCEL enums for such things as cell color, height, width, etc… (there are thousands). I am however stucked at the Where-object. It seems the attempt to filter only “System.Enum” BaseTypes is failing. The property name ‘BaseType’ is of type BaseType, according to GM if I pipe the output of the preceding line to GM. The question then is how do I compare to get a match of type BaseType? I understand my code is implying a [string] type, but what is the correct way of expressing this, if possible? Hope I’ve stated the problem clearly. Thanks.

Not sure whether I understood the question properly, but if you are facing with the filter, you should use below filters.

$_.BaseType.Name -match "Enum"
#or
$_.BaseType.FullName -match "System.Enum"

#Below code will give you the detail.
$xl.GetType().Assembly.GetExportedTypes() | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.BaseType.Name } | ForEach-Object {$_.BaseType | Format-List * ;break}

Much thanks, Mr KVprasoon … for a very enlightening reply. Yes, I was not aware of .Name or .Fullname. In my early efforts to figure this out, I piped to Get-Member (GM) the result of

$x1.GetType().Assembly.GetExportedTypes()

and just stopped there. Please let me share my “trial and error” efforts before my post. In order to “figure out” my dilemma I first did the ff:

# -- this yields Selected.System.RuntimeType
$x1.GetType().Assembly.GetExportedTypes() | GM

to see what’s “available”. In hindsight maybe the correct “line of thinking” should have been:

# -- this yields Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.MemberDefinition
$x1.GetType().Assembly.GetExportedTypes() | GM | GM

In both cases there is a Name property, but which one is the logically correct? Is my “logic” (or lack of it) consistent within PowerShell’s way of operation?
Thanking you in advance.