Getting a Sort to work on a Date Object (but after converting it?)

Hi Folks,

Having a trouble getting my date object to sort correctly.

I have a very simple script that will just list the certificates on a server. But, the expiry date is US format and I want to force it to European date format and sort so that those expiring are listed first.

So, if I run the script as follows, it sorts correctly - on the US date format

$remotemesg2 = 
 foreach ($cert in Get-ChildItem Cert:\LocalMachine\My) {
   [PSCustomObject]@{
   Name = $cert.FriendlyName
   Expires = $cert.NotAfter
   IssuedBy = (($cert.Issuer).Split("=")[1]).Split(",")[0]
    }
 }
$RemoteMesg2 = $RemoteMesg2 | Select-Object Name,Expires,IssuedBy | Sort-Object Expires

And it outputs as follows, and the sort works.

Name Expires IssuedBy 
---- ------- -------- 
abc-dev.contoso.com 10/28/2017 10:41:56 AM Contoso Certification Authority - L1K
xyz-tst.contoso.com 9/13/2018 12:38:46 PM  Contoso Basic Assurance TEST CA 
efg-dev.contoso.com 10/16/2018 11:39:18 AM Contoso Certification Authority - L1K

I’ve tried a few ways to get this part into dd/mm/yyyy format:

Expires = $cert.NotAfter

so, I played around with different variations of the following:

Expires = $cert.NotAfter | Get-Date -Uformat "%d-%m-%Y" | Sort-Object { [datetime]}

Thinking that it would pipe the original format into Get-Date to the Uformat - and then sort it as a Real Date, but it doesn’t - it sorts as a string, and just sorts on the day value like ascending integers.

xyz-tst.contoso.com 13/09/2018 Contoso Basic Assurance TEST CA 
efg-dev.contoso.com 16/10/2018 Contoso Certification Authority - L1K
abc-dev.contoso.com 28/10/2017 Contoso Certification Authority - L1K

I guess I don’t want to convert the date to UK format, I just want to format it as UK format and sort correctly…It’s driving me nuts, I’m sure it’s a simple answer for sure… and maybe Olaf will come to my rescue? :wink:

Thanks, Alex74

Sorting dates either needs to be a DateTime object or a sortable date. Sorting strings like that can have some odd behavior. Here is another way to do it that should be a bit cleaner:

Get-ChildItem Cert:\LocalMachine\My |
Sort NotAfter |
Select @{Name='Name';Expression={$_.FriendlyName}},
       @{Name='Expires';Expression={Get-Date -Date $_.NotAfter -Uformat "%d-%m-%Y"}},
       @{Name='IssuedBy';Expression={(($_.Issuer).Split("=")[1]).Split(",")[0]}}

Rob, you are a squire and a gentleman, thanks for the explanation and the solution - works just great!