Get-WmiObject filter question

I need to run a Get-WmiObject command that filters for 2 criteria.

I need to combine the following 2 filters…but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to use the -And operator to get it to work.

Should I be using a -Filter or a Where statement?

Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\cimv2\sms -class SMS_InstalledSoftware -Filter "ARPDisplayName LIKE 'Box for Office'"
Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\cimv2\sms -class SMS_InstalledSoftware -Filter "ProductVersion LIKE '4.3.1217.0'"

Thanks very much.

The -Filter paremeter for Get-WMIObject is looking for WQL syntax

Get-Help Get-WmiObject -Parameter Filter

-Filter 
    Specifies a Where clause to use as a filter. Uses the syntax of the WMI Query Language (WQL).

Important: Do not include the Where keyword in the value of the parameter. For example, the following commands return only the logical disks that have a DeviceID of 'c:' 
    and services that have the name 'WinRM' without using the Where keyword.

`Get-WmiObject Win32_LogicalDisk -filter "DeviceID = 'c:' "`

`Get-WmiObject win32_service -filter "name='WinRM'"`

Required?                    false
    Position?                    named
    Default value                None
    Accept pipeline input?       False
    Accept wildcard characters?  false

Unless you enjoy WQL a Where-Object would be easier IMO.

Thanks. It looks like the following is going to work for me.

Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\cimv2\sms -class SMS_InstalledSoftware | Where {$_.ARPDisplayname -eq 'Box for Office' -and $_.ProductVersion -eq '4.3.1217.0'}

You should always filter as far left as possible, so you should leverage the WMI filter. WQL does support LIKE, however, in your posted examples I didn’t see a wildcard character (but it could be the site). This article discusses WQL Operators: WQL Operators - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

PS C:\Users\Rob> Get-WMIObject -Class Win32_Service -filter "Name like 'box%'"

ExitCode  : 0
Name      : BoxSyncUpdateService
ProcessId : 0
StartMode : Manual
State     : Stopped
Status    : OK

PS C:\Users\Rob> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Service -Filter "Name like 'box%'"

ProcessId Name                 StartMode State   Status ExitCode
--------- ----                 --------- -----   ------ --------
0         BoxSyncUpdateService Manual    Stopped OK     0       

A -filter (with this command) is the same as the where clause in sql, and a -query is the same as sql. Just use ‘and’. You can use ‘=’ instead of ‘like’, since you aren’t using the ‘%’ wildcard. A -filter is faster than piping to where-object, if you’re dealing with a lot of instances. ‘=’ is faster than ‘like’ as well.

Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\cimv2\sms -class SMS_InstalledSoftware -Filter "
  ARPDisplayName = 'Box for Office' and ProductVersion = '4.3.1217.0'"

A good example for a filter (have to double up the backslashes), since there’s a ton of directory instances (95,000 on my computer):

Get-WmiObject win32_directory -filter "name = 'c:\\' or name = 'c:\\users'"