Get-Content Error

Hello, I’m getting this error when I try to run Get-Content.
Get-Content : Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘Path’ because it is an empty array.
At line:1 char:1

• Get-Content
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-Content], ParameterBindingValidationException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyArrayNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand</strong>

I first noticed the problem when I tried using Show-Command. The error for that is:
get-command : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:1 char:3

• @(get-command -CommandType Cmdlet,Function,Script,ExternalScript,Work …
  • + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand</strong>

I get the same errors using console or ISE. Same thing using elevated for both. Any thoughts???

Sorry, I forgot to add that I also tried opening the console with the -NoProfile option. I still receive the error.

The Get-Content cmdlet gets the contents of a file. The Path parameter is a mandatory parameter and must be specified otherwise you’ll receive that error:

PS C:\> help Get-Content -Parameter path

-Path <String[]>
    Specifies the path to an item. Get-Content gets the content of the item. Wildcards are permitted. The parameter
    name ("Path" or "FilePath") is optional.

Required?                    true
    Position?                    1
    Default value
    Accept pipeline input?       true (ByPropertyName)
    Accept wildcard characters?  true

PS C:\>

Mike, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortuneatly, I pasted the wrong command. It’s Get-Command, not Get-Content. Hate when I do that. You can see the error I get with Show-Command after my typo earlier. Here’s the error for Get-Command:

Get-Command : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:1 char:1

• Get-Command
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Command], NullReferenceException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand</strong>

If you run Get-Command on a particular cmdlet, do you receive the same error? Example:

Get-Command -Name Get-Module

If that runs without error, give this a try to see if it’s cmdlets in a particular module that’s causing the issue:

Get-Module -ListAvailable | ForEach-Object {
    Write-Output "*** Module Name: $($_.Name) ***"
    Get-Command -Module $_.Name
}

Roger,

Please check out my post on another thread where we are discussing the Get-Command error as well. The Microsoft KB article might be relevant if you have SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 components installed.

https://powershell.org/forums/topic/powershell-repair/#post-15432

Best,
Daniel

Daniel, I have SQL Server Express 2012 installed. I’ll double check this though just in case. Thanks

Mike, the command, as you suggested, “Get-Command -name Get-Module”, works. I tried “Show-Command Get-Module” and the worked as well. However, if I try Get-Command or Show-Command with no parameters, I still get the error.