Get-ADUser -Filter {String[] -eq String[]} - Possible?

Trying to filter the Get-ADUser results by multiple properties, or a single property, determined by a single previously set variable. Below are the two pieces cut from the script

# Target users with Active Directory user object properties
$PROPERTY_NAME = 'Surname', 'GivenName'
$PROPERTY_VALUE = 'Franco', 'Alex'

Collect all Acitve Directory users matching the property/properties defined above

$userList = Get-ADUser -Filter {$PROPERTY_NAME -eq $PROPERTY_VALUE} -Properties $PROPERTY_NAME

It's failing to retrieve any matches because:
Get-ADUser : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'System.String' required by parameter 'Properties'. Specified method is not supported.
I'd rather not have to do something like
if(PROPERTY_NAME.GetType().Name -eq 'Object[]') {
	$num = $PROPERTY_NAME.Count
	$num | % {
		Get-ADUser -Filter {$PROPERTY_NAME[($_ - 1)] -eq $PROPERTY_VALUE[($_ - 1)]
    }
   # haven't worked out yet what to do from this point, but I'd rather not have to anyways
}
Is there a more elegant way to Get-ADUser with multiple property filters?
Thank you,
Alex

There are several approaches, but I’ve used string concatenation to build the filter

$groupName = 'group123'
$dc = 'dc123'

$getGrpParams = @{
    Filter = "Name -eq '$groupName'"
}

#Add DC to AD commands
$getGrpParams.Add( "Server", $dc ) 

$group = Get-ADGroup @getGrpParams

Some other options are outlined here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20075502/get-aduser-filter-will-not-accept-a-variable

Using the Get-Help Cmdlet provides the key to your answer here, it really boils down to a couple of things. First, what time of input is the parameter expecting (in this case String) and what sort of syntax is expected. You have the choice of a couple of different parameters. -Filter and -LDAPFilter, depending on if you want to use the native PS query syntax or LDAP. If we are working with the -Filter for example we need to group each criteria into separate parentheses’ see below for an example

$filter = '(GivenName -eq "Logan") -and (Surname -eq "Boydell")'
Get-ADUser -Filter $filter

To go deeper into you can use variable to build your initial filter variable, then pass that along as seen below.

$first = 'Logan'
$last = 'Boydell'
$filter = "(GivenName -eq `"$first`") -and (Surname -eq `"$last`")"
Get-ADUser -Filter $filter

I hope you find this answer helpful.

Wow, that guy hates using script blocks for filters but has valid points. Had some trouble getting it working with the @params, but was able to get it after a brain break and seeing Logan’s example.

Thank you both, much appreciated

PS C:\> 
[String[]]$PROPERTY_NAME = 'GivenName', 'Surname'
[String[]]$PROPERTY_VALUE = 'Alex', 'Franco'

$n = 0
$count = $PROPERTY_NAME.Count
Do {
    $propName = $PROPERTY_NAME[$n]
    $propVal = $PROPERTY_VALUE[$n]
    $string = "($propName -eq `"$propVal`")"

$n++
    if($count -ne $n -and $count -gt 1) {
        $string += ' -and '
    }

$filter += $string
} Until ($n -eq $count)

$filter
(GivenName -eq "Alex") -and (Surname -eq "Franco")

PS C:\>