Get-ADOrganizationalUnit Subtree

I am running a report on our users and fashioning a nice clean report listing the Name of their OU, among other parameters.

All companies have a root ou called ‘Hosted’ and then there are about 100 SubOU’s from within. I want to iterate through each OU and then loop through each user to output an object of ‘OU’, ‘user’, etc…

To first get my list of OU’s, I execute this command.

$OUs = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter * -Searchbase 'OU=Hosted,DC=XXXX,DC=local' -SearchScope Subtree

However, the OUs object lists the 'Hosted; OU in the array, which I would expect “SearchScope Subtree” parameter to only list the sub-OUs.

PS H:\> $OUs | Where-Object{$_.name -like "Hosted"}

RunspaceId : 26696d78-75d7-4097-9b7c-8f837c7d8c9e
City :
DistinguishedName : OU=Hosted,DC=XXXX,DC=local
LinkedGroupPolicyObjects : {}
ManagedBy :
Name : Hosted
ObjectClass : organizationalUnit
ObjectGUID : 37b8b83d-1f1a-4c1c-a0ed-01287bb5b1b2
PostalCode :
State :
StreetAddress :

How do I create an array of only Sub-OU’s of a root OU?

Hmmm … I assume you want to create this report for all of your ‘Hosted’-OUs and their users anyway, right? Why bother to create a sophisticated query? You could simply query all users from your AD strucrure along with their “CanonicalName” - and of course the other parameters you’re after. When you sort this list by CanonicalName you’re almost done with it. :wink: The rest is a little string acrobatics or Excel formatting. :wink: :wink: :smiley:

$SearchBase = 'DC=XXXX,DC=local'

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase $SearchBase -Properties CanonicalName |
    Select-Object -Property Name,CanonicalName |
        Sort-Object -Property CaconicalName

It would be helpful if I had the OU the user was a part of. Preferably just the ‘Name’ property and not the full "DinstinguishedName’ property.

Basically, the report should have.

Name SamAccountName OU
Jon Smith jsmith Company 1
Jon Doe jdoe Company 2

That’s what I meant. If the “Hosted”-OUs are all on the same “level” in your AD it’s a piece of cake to extract this bit of information from the CanonicalName.

('dc.local/someOU/someOtherOU/Hosted/SubHostedOU/Sites/Users' -split '/')[4]

There are one or two OU’s that might go 2, maybe 3 deep.

I really don’t understand what you mean with this. You may post some examples.

• Hosted OU
    • Company1_OU
      • User1_1
      • User2_1
      • User3_1
    • Company2_OU
      • User1_2
      • User2_2
      • User3_2
      • Company2A_OU
        • User1_2A
        • User2_2A
        • User3_2a
    • Company3_Ou
      • User1_3
      • User2_3
      • User3_#

Need to capture all of these users and their attributes and list the OU that each is attributed along with other attributes.

Name OU
User1_1 Company1_OU
User2_1 Company1_OU
User3_1 Company1_OU
User1_2 Company2_OU
User2_2 Company2_OU
User3_2 Company2_OU
User1_2A Company2A_OU
User2_2A Company2A_OU
User3_2A Company2A_OU
User1_3 Company3_OU
User2_3 Company3_OU
User3_3 Company3_OU

My original command was to first capture all of the OU’s within the HOsted OU…recursively to capture the subOUs (example Company_2A).

My original command was to declare my ‘Hosted’ OU and then the subtree parameter to recursively grab the subou’s, however the root OU appears in the list.

$OUs = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter * -Searchbase ‘OU=Hosted,DC=XXXX,DC=local’ -SearchScope Subtree

[quote quote=222687]My original command was to first capture all of the OU’s within the HOsted OU…recursively to capture the subOUs (example Company_2A).
My original command was to declare my ‘Hosted’ OU and then the subtree parameter to recursively grab the subou’s, however the root OU appears in the list.[/quote]
OK, but if I got this right that would be a manual process anyway, right. :wink:

If you have 2 levels where to find relevant information in your OU structure you could use this …

('dc.local/someOU/someOtherOU/Hosted/SubHostedOU/Sites/Users' -split '/')[4]

… twice and simply fill in 2 columns. You could even filter it easily then in Excel for example. :wink:

If the issue is it’s also including the root OU then just filter it out.

$searchbase = 'OU=Hosted,DC=XXXX,DC=local'
$OUs = Get-ADOrganizationalUnit -Filter * -Searchbase $searchbase -SearchScope Subtree | where distinguishedname -ne $searchbase