get-adobject in ForeachLoop with Variable usage

Hello PS Board,
I’m trying to get a list of all AD Groups which are used for settings Rights on Exchange Resources. For that I’m using

$mbxperm=Get-MailboxPermission *| select user| Out-String

Now I have a list with usernames and Groupnames and \Domainname in $mbxperm like “domain\ImGroup”
I split them using

$mbxperm.User
$mbxperm| gm
$domain,$username = $mbxperm.split('\')

$username looks like

"baschi
tesuser
..."

After that I’m trying only to get the groups, not all users and groups mixed.

foreach ($i in $username) {
get-adgroup -filter {name -eq $i -and ObjectClass -eq "group"}
}

I simply get no results from the command, If I use a oneliner like
get-adgroup -filter {name -eq $i -and ObjectClass -eq “group”} I get the proper result.

These are the var types:

PS C:\Users\xy\Desktop> $i.gettype() 
IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                            
-------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                            
True     True     String                                   System.Object                                                       

PS C:\Users\xy\Desktop> $LHash.gettype()
True     True     Object[]                                 System.Array                                                        

PS C:\Users\xy\Desktop> $username.gettype() 
True     True     Object[]                                 System.Array                                                        

also when I convert the string to an Customobject and try to use it with “$i.name” in the foreach it doesn’t work, it only works when I use the oneliner as well. I even can see the proper output of $i when I add write-output $i. But not in the foreach.
Seems like the problem is with using the variable in the foreach loop, but I can’t figure out how to manipulate the command that I get the whished result. I would be more than happy if there is any smarter solution for getting a result all permission groups of exchange. We are in an enterprise and the output of “Get-MailboxPermission *” is super heavy.

Hope you can help.
Best Regards,
baschi

If i ever run into this problem i always peel things back.

Run

foreach ($i in $username) {
    #get-adgroup -filter {name -eq $i -and ObjectClass -eq "group"}
    Write-Output $i
}

And see what is in $i

Why are you doing this on an Exchange server, using the Exchange cmdlet for user group info that is on the DC?
Now, I am not saying you can’t do this from an Exchange server, especially if you have RSAT ADDS enabled.

There are better ways to more completely get user / group membership info.

You could just to this…

Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership  -Identity $env:username

Also, of note, the default cmdlets do not get nested or indirect group memberships.

Try something like this…

function Get-NestedGroupMember
{
    [cmdletbinding()]

[Alias('gngm')]

param
    (
        [Parameter(Mandatory,ValueFromPipeline)]
        [string]
        $Identity
    )

process
    {
        $user = Get-ADUser -Identity $Identity
        $userdn = $user.DistinguishedName
        $strFilter = "(member:1.2.840.113556.1.4.1941:=$userdn)"
        Get-ADGroup -LDAPFilter $strFilter -ResultPageSize 1000
    }
}

# Example
Get-NestedGroupMember -Identity $env:username |
Select-Object -Property Name, DistinguishedName

Of course I am passing in only one username here, but just make a list and loop through that.

With foreach ouput $i, I saw a list which where looking like $mbxperm,
there I was expecting everything is right cause I saw rows between Domainname\ and username

Thanks Alex, using $mbxperm[1] I found out that the split not really worked. I got
“domainname
username”
as a result which showed me that the split didn’t work properly so I used -replace now instead.

Thanks for your input, your thoughts are really insightfull.

This confirms my feeling that Exchange is not the right place for it BUT,
so far I don’t have an working alternative. If I get your function your command gives me where the user have rights but I need only all security groups which are used for settings permissions on Exchange resources. Your input is really great thanks for these insights.

Best Regards,
baschi

When you say…

Exchange resources
… does this mean, member of Exchange groups only?

If that is the case, the script is still usable as is, just apply a filter to the Exchange groups.

(Get-NestedGroupMember -Identity $env:username |
Select-Object -Property Name, DistinguishedName) -match 'Exchange'

[quote quote=118344]When you say…

Exchange resources
… does this mean, member of Exchange groups only?

If that is the case, the script is still usable as is, just apply a filter to the Exchange groups.

PowerShell
3 lines
<textarea class="ace_text-input" style="opacity: 0; height: 18px; width: 6.6px; left: 44px; top: 0px;" spellcheck="false" wrap="off"></textarea>
(Get-NestedGroupMember -Identity $env:username |
Select-Object -Property Name, DistinguishedName) -match 'Exchange'
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[/quote] No this would mean Security Groups which are used for granting SendAs or FullAccess rights to Mailboxes and resources.

f.e.

Group1 with member xyz, yax
is used on Maibox asdf@domain.com to grant SendAs rights to Group1. And from my understand these security groups don’t have “Exchange” necessarily in their DN.

BR baschi