Formatting output of a script

I have a disk space report generated as a CSV file/custom object . I want to highlight values that are less than 3 Gb in freespace. How can I achieve this

Hi Asrar,
Can you clarify - You have a CSV report generated by PowerShell, and you want to highlight the values when you open the CSV file. OR You have a CSV file generated by something, PowerShell or other, and you want to parse that with PowerShell to highlight the values inside the shell?

I’m not sure if the first is possible with PowerShell, just by the nature of CSV files being text based - I don’t know if they can store text colour information - my guess is no.

The second option is definitely possible to either colour the lines in the shell.
Or simply only return objects where the size is <3 Gb. This would be my preference, but you may have different requirements.

$data = Import-CSV C:\drivespace.csv
$data | Where-Object {$_.freespace -lt 3}

Or something along those lines. Obviously you would need to adjust depending on how the size is displayed in the report.

Liam

There are a lot of examples of building disk space reports with Powershell. Just do a search “Powershell Disk Space Report” and you’ll find a lot of variations of generating reports in HTML, Excel and everything in between.

Check out the ebook on Creating HTML Reports in PowerShell

Hi Liam,

I have the csv file generated from a Powershell script. I would like to parse this using powershell and then display in HTML or Excel.
My code is

if (($result = Read-host "Enter either c: or D: [default is C:]") -eq '') { $drive = "C:"} else {$drive = $result }

$x = $hostnames | % { gwmi -cl win32_logicaldisk -computer $_ | ? { $_.deviceid -eq $drive } | select size, freespace, pscomputername }

$outfile = "$($env:userprofile)" + "\" + "DriveSpaceStats-$(get-date -f MMddyy-hhmmss).csv"
$output1 = $x | % { "$($_.pscomputername) $(($_.size/1.0GB).ToString("#.##")) $(($_.freespace/1.0GB).ToString("#.##"))" }

$output1 -replace "\s","," | out-file $outfile

Hi Asrar,
In that case I would definitely suggest checking out the eBook Wilfredo suggests, you will get much better results.

However, if you want to do something quick and dirty - I’ll walk you through my steps when I’m in a hurry - you should be able to work it around your script. You do need to understand a small amount of HTML to adjust it to your needs.
I cant post the code here though as the HTML disappears in the comments - I’ll find somewhere to put it up and link to it shortly

Liam

Basically,
1 - I start by opening a table in the $body variable
2 - Gather the information
3 - loop through the drives
4 - create an object out of the drive info - I use hash tables. Don Jones has a great article on building custom objects - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh750381.aspx
5 - Using an If statement based on the amount of free space, I add table rows to the $body variable
6 - Close the table
7 - Convert it to HTML and save it into a file

You should be able to adapt this to your needs. If you have a csv file look at importing the csv file.

Liam