Export mp4 file properties

Hello,

I’m trying to export the filename and the Title property from some mp4 files to a csv file.
Using Get-ChildItem and Get-ItemProperty show limited info; none of these dig deep into the properties (metadata) that I’m looking to extract.

Both of the following produce the same results:

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Movies\Casper's First Christmas (1979).mp4"
Get-ItemProperty "D:\Movies\Casper's First Christmas (1979).mp4"

Output:

Although I can get the information I need using what appears to be an outdated module (Get-FileMetaData), it runs extremely slow. It takes 3.75 seconds per file from a local drive (NVMe) and 14 seconds per file from my NAS. I’m hoping to find an alternate solution if one exists with greater performance.

Get-ChildItem "D:\Movies" -Recurse | Get-FileMetaData | select Name,Title | Export-Csv -Path "D:\Movie_Metadata.csv"

Results:

File properties in File Explorer:

Export Metadata mp4-3

Thank you,

That’s a kind of feature by design. :wink: Access to network ressources is always slower than local access. So it might be faster to transfer the desired files to a local drive, process them there and transfer them back. :man_shrugging:t4:

To be sure you may measure where exactly the bottle neck is with Measure-Command. If it’s really the old module and you’re not able to improve it yourself you’re pretty much out of luck I think. :man_shrugging:t4: How often do you need to run this task?

Edit:

I just took a look to the function Get-FileMetaData and I guess you’re using it wrong. While it works with the pipeline it might be much faster if you provide a folder path to the function and use its output later on to process it outside the function.

Something like …

$MetaDataList = Get-FileMetaData -Folder 'D:\MyMediaFiles'

Hi @Olaf

I sort of took a hiatus on this endeavor. I let my original code run to completion (25 hours) and decided to work with that output considering it gave me what I was looking for.

However, my efforts with trying to line up the filles with the correct ‘Title’, I discovered that was far too complex and decided to restore my Snapshot (NAS) on that media folder. From there, I just had to use “Restore previous versions” to restore a handful of files that weren’t in the Snapshot.

I recall trying your suggestion, but unfortunately it produced no information. The variable came up empty.

I don’t think I’ll use that module and will likely need to look at other tools that are commonly used to manage and manipulate media files and their respective metadata.

Thanks for looking into this…