Exception calling “ExecuteQuery” with “0” argument(s): “File

I am building a PowerShell script to essentially copy an entire directory to a SharePoint online library. I have gotten as far as building the folder directory on SharePoint but cannot seem to load any files onto the online directory. I believe I am really close to cracking this beast, I just need to solve one last error. The full error and my code are listed below:

Line #109 is $clientContext.ExecuteQuery()

Exception calling “ExecuteQuery” with “0” argument(s): “File Not Found.” At line:109 char:5 + $clientContext.ExecuteQuery() + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: , MethodInvocationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ServerException

###################### copy files 
cls
$t1 = get-date
$i=1
$count = ((Get-ChildItem -File -Recurse -Path $source_folder) | Measure-Object -Property FullName ).Count
foreach ($file in (Get-ChildItem -File -Recurse -Path $source_folder))
{
$t01 = get-date
#$url_dest = $url_sharepoint+$Url_site+$file.FullName.Substring($file.FullName.IndexOf($MainFolder)-1).ToLower().Replace('\','/')
#$url_dest = $url_sharepoint+$Url_site+'/'+$library+(($file.FullName.ToLower()).Replace($source_folder.ToLower(),'')).Replace('\','/')
$url_dest = $url_sharepoint+$Url_site+$library+$file.FullName.Substring($file.FullName.IndexOf($MainFolder)-1).ToLower().Replace('\','/')
$FileStream = New-Object IO.FileStream($File.FullName,[System.IO.FileMode]::Open)
$FileCreationInfo = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FileCreationInformation
$FileCreationInfo.Overwrite = $true
$FileCreationInfo.ContentStream = $FileStream
#$FileCreationInfo.Content = System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(filePath)
$FileCreationInfo.URL = $url_dest
$Upload = $mylist.RootFolder.Files.Add($FileCreationInfo)
$listItem = $upload.ListItemAllFields
$listItem['Title']=($file.Name).split('.')[0]
Write-Host " Uploading file $i/$count $url_dest"
$listItem.update()
$clientContext.Load($Upload)
$clientContext.ExecuteQuery()
$t02 = get-date
$speed ="{0:n2}" -f ($file.Length/($t02-$t01).TotalSeconds/1mb)
Write-Host "...................upload speed was " $speed " MB/sec"
$i++

$FileStream.Close()
}
$mylist.Title

$t2=get-date
$size = "{0:n2}" -f (gci -path $source_folder -recurse | measure-object -property length -sum).sum

cls
$speed ="{0:n2}" -f ($size/($t2-$t1).TotalSeconds/1mb)
Write-Host "Medium upload speed was " $speed " MB/sec"

What data type is clientContext? I don’t see it instantiated in your code.

I should have posted the whole code. Hope this answers your question.

$clientContext = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext($url)
$cred = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SharePointOnlineCredentials($Username, $SecurePassword)
$clientContext.Credentials = $cred

$mylist = $clientContext.web.Lists.GetByTitle($library)
$clientContext.Load($mylist)

$mylist.Title

#Get name of folder
$MainFolder = Split-Path $source_folder -Leaf

#upload folder to sharepoint
$UploadMainFolder = $mylist.RootFolder.Folders.Add($MainFolder)
$clientContext.Load($UploadMainFolder)

###################### get folders existing in the SOURCE
$directories= @()

foreach ($file in (Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path $source_folder -Attributes Directory))
{

($file.FullName.ToLower()).replace($source_folder.ToLower()+'\','')
$directories +=($file.FullName.ToLower()).replace($source_folder.ToLower()+'\','')
}

foreach ($directory in $directories)
{
$myfolder = $UploadMainFolder
$clientContext.Load($myfolder)
$myfolder = $myfolder.Folders.Add($directory.split('\')[0])
for ($i = 1; $i -le ($directory.split('\').Count-1) ; $i++)
{
$directory.split('/')[$i]
$myfolder = $myfolder.folders.Add(($directory.split('\'))[$i])
}

}

###################### copy files 
cls
$t1 = get-date
$i=1
$count = ((Get-ChildItem -File -Recurse -Path $source_folder) | Measure-Object -Property FullName ).Count
foreach ($file in (Get-ChildItem -File -Recurse -Path $source_folder))
{
$t01 = get-date
$url_dest = $url_sharepoint+$Url_site+$library+$file.FullName.Substring($file.FullName.IndexOf($MainFolder)-1).ToLower().Replace('\','/')
$FileStream = New-Object IO.FileStream($File.FullName,[System.IO.FileMode]::Open)
$FileCreationInfo = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FileCreationInformation
$FileCreationInfo.Overwrite = $true
$FileCreationInfo.ContentStream = $FileStream
$FileCreationInfo.URL = $url_dest
$Upload = $mylist.RootFolder.Files.Add($FileCreationInfo)
$listItem = $upload.ListItemAllFields
$listItem['Title']=($file.Name).split('.')[0]
Write-Host " Uploading file $i/$count $url_dest"
$listItem.update()
$clientContext.Load($Upload)
$t02 = get-date
$speed ="{0:n2}" -f ($file.Length/($t02-$t01).TotalSeconds/1mb)
Write-Host "...................upload speed was " $speed " MB/sec"
$i++

$FileStream.Close()
}
$mylist.Title

$t2=get-date
$size = "{0:n2}" -f (gci -path $source_folder -recurse | measure-object -property length -sum).sum

cls
$speed ="{0:n2}" -f ($size/($t2-$t1).TotalSeconds/1mb)
Write-Host "Medium upload speed was " $speed " MB/sec"

I think I’m about out of Schlitz on this one. I checked the documentation on ClientContext class https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.sharepoint.client.clientcontext and I don’t see a ExecuteQuery method. Recommend, putting in a debug breakpoint just before that line is called and then inspect the object i.e. $clientContext | get-member and also look at its current values i.e. $clientContext | select * Hopefully this will help with what is going on.

Also, reading that error makes me think the object is null. The reason I say that is in general when you call a method, the first argument (index 0) is the object itself and then subsequent arguments are within the parenthesis. For example, $clientContext.Load($Upload) $clientContext object is the first argument and $upload is the second.

Thanks for the tips.

After some debugging… I finally discovered that the file path that the files were trying to upload to was wrong. My path was sharepoint.com/documents/mainfolder/subfolder, but it needed to be sharepoint.com/Shared%20Documents/mainfolder/subfolder.