I’m not really sure how to troubleshoot any further. I tried grabbing the xDSCDiagnostics module, but that didn’t really tell me anything different. I did notice that the error is the same if I purposefully mess up the registration key guid in the config. I couldn’t see any matching log files on the pull server side, but I did grab a netmon capture just to make sure it’s actually getting the traffic.
Any ideas where to go from here? I should note that the server I’m using was a pull server with version 4, and my general screw-around-with-stuff box, so it might be time to just whack it and start fresh.
I had a similar issue and resolved it by deleting the Web site and recreating the site by modifying the Sample_xDSCWebService.ps1 in the xPSDesiredStateConfiguration module. Also, make sure you are using the latest module version (18.104.22.168 I think).
One other thing is to ensure that the web.config file has the correct entries:
So I built a brand new 2012R2 server, installed .net 4.5 then WMF5, downloaded the latest xPSDesiredStateConfiguration module and configured the pull server with the public example script. Couple of questions:
Should I have a PSDSCServer.svc file in c:\inetpub\PSDSCPullServer?
in my xDscWebService configuration block for the pull server. Looks like that caused it to populate the folder with only the compliance engine files instead of the pull server files. No idea where that line came from, but I was doing some pretty heavy copy/paste action there. Maybe that was a throwback to some v4 config or something. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Oh and it turns out you can browse to the pull server in IE, you jus get a wad of xml. Turned out to be pretty helpful in troubleshooting though, as the 500 and 404 errors I was seeing in the browser clicked in my brain better than the same errors in the script output. I dunno.
Because this is stickied, I also want to point out that, as of the initial re-release of WMF5, DSC pull servers need to be on the full server with a GUI, not on Server Core. This isn’t by design, it’s a bug, but right now the dependencies aren’t getting installed on Server Core correctly. So the pull server won’t work unless it’s on full GUI, right now.
My original comment was march 6, when the xPSDSC Resource was ver 22.214.171.124. Month and half later, were at 126.96.36.199 and they have changed it.
So perhaps Don should unstick the threads and instead leave a very distinct call to everyone to make sure they use the latest version, and to make sure any example code they see on the web should be dated march 2016 and onwards, else there will be mishaps when they run them.
I still see brand new repos on github with dsc samples using old versions of the scripts from with the old resource versions, and it make me cringe, so I try to leave a note for the repo owner, usually.
At the moment i only download from github, its faster and i get to dl dev
versions to try them.
As for that specific code you pasted, the changes are more of taste then of content. The real changes are the removal of the IsCompliance property which caused issues, back when the original question was valid.