Error trying to install Packages or Modules from PowershellGallery

Hi everyone.

Been trying to bypass an error when trying to install AzureAD, AzureADPreview or even PowerShellGet from powershell.

I keep getting an error saying:

PackageManagement\Install-Package : Package ‘PackageManagement’ failed to download.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:1772 char:21

PackageManagement\Install-Package : Package ‘AzureAD’ failed to download.
At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:1772 char:21

• … $null = PackageManagement\Install-Package @PSBoundParameters
  • CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\nb1573…D\AzureAD.nupkg:String) [Install-Package], Excep
    tion
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : PackageFailedInstallOrDownload,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPac
    kage

PackageManagement\Install-Package : Package ‘AzureADPreview’ failed to download.

• CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\nb1573…ADPreview.nupkg:String) [Install-Package], Excep
    tion
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : PackageFailedInstallOrDownload,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPac
    kage

I tried the proxy credential setting (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/keithmayer/2016/01/06/quick-tip-using-azure-powershell-with-web-proxy-and-fiddler/) but I’m not behind a proxy. I tried to update PowerShellGet unsucessfully. I even tried download nupkg manually and then install it, also unsucessfull:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Install-Module “D:\user\Downloads\azuread.2.0.2.76.nupkg”
PackageManagement\Install-Package : No match was found for the specified search criteria and module name
‘D:\user\Downloads\azuread.2.0.2.76.nupkg’. Try Get-PSRepository to see all available registered module
repositories.

• CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Microsoft.Power…InstallPackage:InstallPackage) [Install-Package], Ex
    ception
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackage

Does any of you have any hint on what problem I might be getting?

Thanks in advance,

David

Oh, and always in powershell running as Administrator.

Any suggestion or idea?

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi David,

Does the machine not have internet access? If it does, why not use

Install-Module -Name AzureAD

Check out this link - https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureAD/2.0.2.76

I’ve seen cases where the PSGallery wasn’t registered, so if the command fails even with internet access, try

Install-Module -Name AzureAD -Repository PSGallery

If this works, you’ll need to re-register the gallery repository so you don’t have to type -Repository PSGallery every time you want to install something.

In that case, see this link for some great tips - Whom you miss PSGallery with Get-PSRepository! · GitHub

I hope this helps!

Hi Doug. Thank you for your time and your response.

I’ve tried both of the Install-Module commands and still unable to install.

But I’ve dig dipper about the internet connection issue you were talking about (yes, the computer has internet) but I’m unable to reach www.powershellgallery.com via ping command in powershell.

Any idea why?

Thanks in advance,

David

<hr />

PS D:\Projects\MicrosoftSamples\azure-iot-connected-factory> Install-Module -Name AzureAD

Untrusted repository
You are installing the modules from an untrusted repository. If you trust this repository, change its
InstallationPolicy value by running the Set-PSRepository cmdlet. Are you sure you want to install the modules from
‘PSGallery’?
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is “N”): y
WARNING: Source Location ‘https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/package/AzureAD/2.0.2.76’ is not valid.

• CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\nb1573…D\AzureAD.nupkg:String) [Install-Package], Excep
    tion
    kage

PS D:\Projects\MicrosoftSamples\azure-iot-connected-factory> Install-Module -Name AzureAD -Repository PSGallery

Untrusted repository
You are installing the modules from an untrusted repository. If you trust this repository, change its
InstallationPolicy value by running the Set-PSRepository cmdlet. Are you sure you want to install the modules from
‘PSGallery’?
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is “N”): y
WARNING: Source Location ‘https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/package/AzureAD/2.0.2.76’ is not valid.

tion
    kage

PS D:\Projects\MicrosoftSamples\azure-iot-connected-factory> ping www.powershellgallery.com

Pinging psg-prod-centralus.cloudapp.net [168.61.186.235] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 168.61.186.235:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
PS D:\Projects\MicrosoftSamples\azure-iot-connected-factory> ping www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [172.217.16.228] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=55
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 172.217.16.228:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 18ms

I would assume there is some sort of proxy/content inspection at your perimeter firewall that is stomping on these attempts. Are you able to test over a hotspot or VPN?

It was related to security if it’s this. Have you found and tried this?

Work Around

In your PowerShell session run: [Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12 Note: This will not permanently update your TLS but will allow you to interact with the PowerShell Gallery during this session.

Hi Doug. Thank you, it worked like a charm!

I’ve tryied over a VPN and it didn’t work, sorry for haven’t provided any feedback, but tried the suggested work around and it worked!

Thank you very much,

David

Great! I saw it on Reddit and I thought it might be related. I just had to find this post. Thank you for following up.

Hey Doug Maurer, thank you so much for posting this. I tried various other means using the -proxy parameter etc., but nothing worked. Your solution worked like a charm sir. Thanks so much!

Awesome!