enumerate hashtable output

Hello,

I’m having trouble when trying to output data from a hashtable. Below is my approach:

$CimSession=New-CimSession -ComputerName 'localhost'

foreach ($Session in $CimSession) {
    $DiskModel = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DiskDrive
    $DeviceID = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_LogicalDisk
}

ForEach-Object `
    -Begin { `
$HashOut = @{ } ; $Result = @() }  `
    -Process { `
$HashOut.DiskModel = $DiskModel.Model ; $HashOut.DeviceID = $DeviceID.DeviceID }`
    -End { `
$Result += [pscustomobject]$HashOut } 

My object ($Result) output is shown in brackets as a “nested” hash table.

DiskModel                                                                                                                                                    DeviceID
---------                                                                                                                                                          --------
{SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-000H7,                                                                                               {C:, D:, E:, F:…}
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, LITEON CV1-8B256-HP, WDC WD3202ABYS-01B7A0…} 

My attempt to enumerate:

foreach ($h in $Result.GetEnumerator()) {
        $($h.DiskModel), $($h.DeviceID)
    }

but output still is not what I was aiming:

SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-000H7
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
LITEON CV1-8B256-HP
WDC WD3202ABYS-01B7A0
MTFDDAK256MBF-1AN1ZABHA
WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
J:

I would like under diskmodel property all the disk models to be listed and under DeviceID each DeviceID per disk.

I think you actually asked the wrong question. :wink: It takes a little more logic to match a logical drive to the physical disk it’s contained in. Try the following snippet:

$diskDriveList = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DiskDrive
$logicalDiskToPartition = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_LogicalDiskToPartition
$diskDriveToDiskPartitionList = Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DiskDriveToDiskPartition

foreach ($diskDrive in $diskDriveList) {

$partitionList = $diskDriveToDiskPartitionList | 
        Where-Object { 
            $_.Antecedent.DeviceID -eq $diskDrive.DeviceID 
        }

$logicalDriveLetterList = $logicalDiskToPartition | 
        Where-Object { 
            $_.Antecedent.deviceID -in $partitionList.dependent.DeviceId 
        }

[PSCustomObject]@{
        Model       = $diskDrive.Model
        DriveLetter = $logicalDriveLetterList.Dependent.DeviceId -join ','
    }
}

Off topic: May I ask what kind of code editor you’re using to paste the code here? Your code looks weird with all these strange spaces.

Hi Olaf!
thanks for your answer on this! Somehow forum bot blocked my post for a couple of hours and delayed to reply back. I have to admit this is a total different approach. I was thinking that, since I’ve located which info I needed (i.e. deviceID) it was a matter of output (hence the title in my post) rather than logic.

Regarding the code editor, actually is from vscode then to a notepad and then here. Not sure why there are that many spaces.