I need some advice from you about setting up infrastructure. I have general knowledge about DSC and Powershell but I need your help more with architectural approach and decisions.
I have two kind of servers groups - production and dev (we share those servers between two AWS accounts) - each contains a few environments like prod, preview or dev1,dev10 etc. We want to have one DSC Pull server for everything - inside those experiments, we have different node types of servers - like DB, WSUS etc. Each configuration should be automated by Powershell DSC and stored in GIT repository. DEVDev servers should be assigned to branch DEV in GIT and PROD servers with MASTER in that repository.
I need to assign those configurations to:
- PROD or DEV groups of server
- Type of server
- What do you think about the above approach?
- How to force DSC to works with GIT code and branches and generation of MOF files?
- Create one folder with DEV code and generate from that folder code for dev servers
- Create the second folder with MASTER code ang generate from that folder code for prod servers
What do you think? Is there any other approach to achieve reliable environment? For now we need to build own Pull server and we are in AWS. Maybe if future we can think about Azure and DSC Automation feature - maybe there it would be easier.