DSC Pull Clarification

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I’ve been researching this for a couple of days and I wanted some external input on what I believe to be true with DSC Pull. I don’t have the exact environment to test this in at the moment, and I know there are subject matter experts that frequent this forum.

I know that with DSC Apply, a server will pull a MOF initially and apply it. I also know that Apply and Monitor will do the same, but log if there is any drift, and that Apply and Autocorrect will apply, and then autocorrect for any drift in configuration.

One thing that is not too clear to me is the following scenario:

A server RefreshMode is set to Pull. The MOF file that the server is pointing to is altered/changed/recreated with different settings, but with the same name and location for that MOF file. Upon the refresh, does the server apply the changed MOF?

Thank you for your time and patience.

When you deploy a MOF to a pull server, you also provide a checksum file (New-DscChecksum). If you change the MOF, you change the checksum. That’s how the node knows it needs to re-pull the MOF, and yes, it should treat it as a new MOF and apply it.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the response! That’s exactly what I needed to know.