Downlaod file.exe from internet.

Hi all, I’m new in PowerShell. I’m trying to create a script where I download an exe file.

I found some example from internet and I wrote it, but when I execute my script I receive the following error:

Invoke-WebRequest : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\SW\Download'.
At line:1 char:1

• Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $url -OutFile $output
  • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Invoke-WebRequest], DirectoryNotFoundException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

Could you help me please to understand the error?

Antonella, welcome to Powershell.org. Please take a moment and read the very first post on top of the list of this forum: Read Me Before Posting! You’ll be Glad You Did!.

When you post code or error messages or sample data or console output format it as code using the code tags “PRE”, please. Thanks in advance.

It looks like you did not specify a file not just a directory for your parameter -OutFile.

Thanks,

I haven’t wrote all the script… I write it:

$output = "C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\SW\Download\"
$url	= "https://www.google.com/chrome/"
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $url -OutFile $output

The output I received

Invoke-WebRequest : Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users\xxxxxx\Downloads\SW\Download\’.
At line:1 char:1
+ Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $url -OutFile $output
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-WebRequest], DirectoryNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeWebRequestCommand

I assume it is a setup file you try to download. You should use something like this:

$output = "C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Downloads\SW\Download\setup.exe"

It should be a complete path including the file name.

Oh Thanks a lot.

It works! I thought I haven’t to write the exe file name.

Thanks a lot again.