declare Variable in loops

Hi,

I want to declare the types of my variables. Is it possible to do this in loops too?
If I try I get a error (Missing variable name after foreach)
Example

foreach ( [String]$StrVar in $...)

Thx
Thomas

I think that might be the one spot you can’t do that - I’ve never tried, but it’s possible the parser just doesn’t expect it there. Given that $StrVar is auto-populated, forcing coercion at that spot might be weird for it.

I tried it

PS> $things = @(
'Apples'
'Oranges'
'kettles'
)

foreach ([string]$thing in $things){

Write-Host "This is a thing: $thing"

}
At line:7 char:10
+ foreach ([string]$thing in $things){
+          ~
Missing variable name after foreach.
At line:7 char:25
+                         ~~
Unexpected token 'in' in expression or statement.
At line:7 char:35
+                                   ~
Unexpected token ')' in expression or statement.
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingVariableNameAfterForeach

PS> 

Declaring a type doesn’t work with the way foreach works as you’re automatically defining the type of the item from the type of the collection

How about using the other foreach instead? (The one you can pipe from.)

PS /Users/js> 1..3 | foreach { $a = [string]$_; $a.gettype() }                      

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                 
-------- -------- ----                                     --------                                 
True     True     String                                   System.Object