Copying an ADUser

Hello,

I have AD User person6 in AD. I’m trying to create a new AD User called person7 by copying person6

$copy = Get-ADUser -Identity person6
New-ADUser person7 -Instance $copy

But, it’s giving me an error

New-ADUser : Unknown error (0x21c8)
At \hqfs1\users\tantony\PowerShell\HRSecurityForms\test.ps1:4 char:1

• New-ADUser person7 -Instance $copy

If this works, does it also copy the new user into the same AD OU as the instance user?

Thank you,

Tony

Hi

What if you collect all needed parameters and values and use splatting into New-ADUser? I think that would be better solution when copying and creating new AD account.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg675931.aspx

Jake

I use splatting to create users in branches and it’s working fine, but I’m working on the part where I create users in headquarters. I figured it might be easier to find a person with the same title as the new employee and copy them.

I figured out to copy a user, and grab info such as the telephoneNumber, Managers etc. I think I had the instance backwards earlier.

$u=Get-ADUser -Identity person6 -Properties HomeDirectory, Manager, ProfilePath, Description, Office, telephoneNumber

New-ADUser -Instance $u -SamAccountName person7 –UserPrincipalName person7Reid@mycompany.com –Name 'Person 7' -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText "p@ssw0rd" -Force)

I want the new user to be in the same OU as the copying user. How would I do that? I tried this below and it didn’t work. It doesn’t move it to the correct DistinguishedName, it creates the new user in the default Users OU. Also, how would I copy the “Member of” to the new user also?

$u=Get-ADUser -Identity person6 -Properties HomeDirectory, Manager, ProfilePath, Description, Office, telephoneNumber, DistinguishedName

Thanks,

Tony

Hi

One way to add same groups can be following.

$Groups = (Get-ADUser -Identity TestUser2 -Properties Memberof).MemberOF
Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity TestUser1 -MemberOf $Groups

Or not so readable, I wouldn’t use this on script.

Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity TestUser1 -MemberOf $((Get-ADUser -Identity TestUser2 -Properties Memberof).memberOF)

The same OU, First what comes to mind is to split the DistinguishedName and recreate the Path with that but I do not this that would be the best idea.

Edit. Found following link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/830ff383-9057-45d8-ae10-5e567efd36f8/how-to-get-parent-container-path-of-the-ad-user-object?forum=winserverpowershell

Tried this and it was working, result was OU from AD user.

Get-ADUser -Identity testuser3 -Properties distinguishedname,cn | 
    select @{n='Path';e={$_.distinguishedname -replace "CN=$($_.cn),",''}} |
        select -ExpandProperty Path

Following seems like working.

$From = 'person6'
$To = 'person7'

$u = Get-ADUser -Identity $from -Properties HomeDirectory, Manager, ProfilePath, Description, Office, telephoneNumber, memberof, distinguishedName, cn
$Groups = ($u).memberof
$Path = ($u | select @{n='Path';e={$_.distinguishedname -replace "CN=$($_.cn),",''}}).Path

New-ADUser -Instance $u -Path $Path -SamAccountName $To –UserPrincipalName person7Reid@mycompany.com –Name 'Person 7' -AccountPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText "p@ssw0rd" -Force)

Add-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity $To -MemberOf $Groups

Jake

I remember this was asked before last year and found the old Bookmark.

https://powershell.org/forums/topic/copy-ad-user-to-new-one/

Thanks all, I’ll try that