Configure LCM to get new DSCResources from Network share when standalone

Hi All,

I am attempting to configure remote LCMs to retreive any DSCResources for a file share when they are Standalone i.e. not configured as Push or Pull.

I have built an application that will generate my MOF from a template and run the it against any registered Node that is in a particular Role.

But when i call Start-DscConfiguration i need the remote Node to pull the DSCResources from a defined file share location that i configure and i dont want to have a pull server configured or a a local Node push configuration.

I have tried configuring the downloadManager etc but it complains of a Agent_ID.

At present i am not sure if it is even possible so thats why i am asking.
Or should i just copy them DSCResources to the registered Modeul Locatin on the remote Noeds ?

Thank you i advance for any help.

Edwin

It is possible, yes. I cover this in The DSC Book by Don Jones et al. [Leanpub PDF/iPad/Kindle], in fact. You need to configure a ResourceModuleManager section; a DownloadManager is for downloading MOFs in Pull mode. So you’d set up a:

ResourceRepositoryWeb ModuleSource {
		AllowUnsecureConnection	= $false
		RegistrationKey = '140a952b-b9d6-406b-b416-e0f759c9c0e4'
		ServerURL = 'https://mypullserver.company.pri/PSDSCPullServer.svc'			
	}

That’s for HTTP, of course, you could also do File if you prefer, and its configuration is slightly different.

As a side note, there’s no such thing as a “standalone”.
LCM default state is Push.

Hi Don,

Thank you for the very quick reply.

I was contemplating buying your book but i will definitely get now as it covers exactly what i need.

Edwin