Comparing two files

Hello All,

I am in the process of writing some code to compare two files.

1. Place the data into variables
  2. Use get-content to obtain the content of the files
  3. Compare and echo the differences
$a = get-content "C:\temp\one.txt" $b = get-content "c:\temp\two.txt" Compare-Object $a $b -IncludeEqual

One.txt has a bunch of letters in it two.txt has nothing in it. This is my prototype as the end goal is to compare hotfixes in each file and then use compare-object to echo what is different.

However when I run the code I get the following error cant figure out what the issue is

Compare-Object : Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘DifferenceObject’ because it is null.
At line:1 char:19
+ Compare-Object $a $b
+ ~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Compare-Object], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.C
ompareObjectCommand

Regards

Fish and Chips

To compare file content you use hashing as in:

if ((Get-FileHash .\file1.txt).Hash -eq (Get-FileHash .\file2.txt).Hash) {
    'The 2 files are identical'
} else {
    'the 2 files are different'
}

This may be slow for large files across slow wan links.
A less accurate but faster method is to compare file sizes in bytes, and their LastWriteTime

The error is clear, $b is null or nothing as you specified you are providing nothing in the file. Basically, the error is you need to provide a value to compare against. How are you populating the hotfixes into the files? Have you looked at Get-Hotfix?

PS C:\Users\rasim> $list1 = Get-Hotfix

PS C:\Users\rasim> $list1

Source        Description      HotFixID      InstalledBy          InstalledOn              
------        -----------      --------      -----------          -----------              
DESKTOP-MG... Update           KB4537572     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  3/4/2020 12:00:00 AM     
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4516115     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  11/12/2019 12:00:00 AM   
DESKTOP-MG... Update           KB4517245     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  12/26/2019 12:00:00 AM   
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4521863     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  11/12/2019 12:00:00 AM   
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4524244     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  2/13/2020 12:00:00 AM    
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4524569     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  11/14/2019 12:00:00 AM   
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4525419     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  11/12/2019 12:00:00 AM   
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4528759     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  1/14/2020 12:00:00 AM    
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4537759     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  2/13/2020 12:00:00 AM    
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4538674     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  2/13/2020 12:00:00 AM    
DESKTOP-MG... Security Update  KB4541338     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  3/10/2020 12:00:00 AM    
DESKTOP-MG... Update           KB4551762     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  3/13/2020 12:00:00 AM  
-

Then you can do:

$list1 = Get-Hotfix -ComputerName Computer123
$list2 = Get-Hotfix -ComputerName Computer321

Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $list1 -DifferenceObject $list2 -Property HotFixId

Get-Content is returning an array of strings. If you want to use the list you can do this:

#Emulate Get-Content
$list1 = @"
hotfix1
hotfix2
hotfix3
hotfix4
"@ -split [environment]::NewLine

#Emulate Get-Content
$list2 = @"
hotfix1
hotfix4
"@ -split [environment]::NewLine

Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $list1 -DifferenceObject $list2

A little more structured would be:

$list1 = @"
hotfix1
hotfix2
hotfix3
hotfix4
"@ | ConvertFrom-CSV -Header HotfixId

$list2 = @"
hotfix1
hotfix4
"@ | ConvertFrom-CSV -Header HotfixId

Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $list1 -DifferenceObject $list2 -Property HotfixId

Hi Sam\Rob

Thanks for your input. I know of this get-hotfix command and have experimented with it. However I am writing small prototype programs to see if they work first before moving onto building get-hotfix into my script.

The end goal i envisage is for me to run the get-hotfix on two servers then generate a file with a list of hotfixes in there. Then compared the two files to see where the difference is in the hotfixes.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Fish and Chips

Have you considered capturing the results of the Get-HotFix execution as files via export-csv or export-clixml? Then when you want to compare, recreate the objects by importing the files (import-csv or import-clixml) and then compare the objects.

Get-HotFix | Export-CSV -Path C:\Temp\MyHotFixes.csv
Get-HotFix -ComputerName | Export-CSV -Path c:\temp\YourHotFixes.csv

# ...Fifteen Minutes Later...

$X = IMport-Csv -Path C:\Temp\MyHostFixes.csv
$Y = Import-CSV -Path C:\Temp\YourHotFixes.csv

Compare-Object $X $Y -Property HotFixID