Cannot remove item from an array

Hello,

I try to make an array of computernames in my network to shut them down. All computers, except a few, must be shut down.

So, I created an array of all computers and get there computername back.

[Collections.ArrayList]$allepcs = Get-ADComputer -Filter {name -like 'wks*' -and enabled -eq 'true'} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty name
$allepcs.count

The result of the count is 111 here.

Next I run an example code to exclude wks2000 from the array:

$allepcs.Remove('wks2000')

Expecting that it will remove the computername wks2000 from the array. The result of the count is however still 111 and a listing of the $allepcs still displays the computername.

I get no error, it just does not remove any of the items in my array.

Does anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong here?

Hi,

If you typed

$allepcs.GetType().name 
does it return ‘ArrayList’ ?

Also double check its not a case-sensitive issue. I created a [collection.ArrayList] with three values of ‘pc1’,‘pc2’ and ‘pc3’.

if i do $test.Remove(‘pc1’), it works fine. If i then try $test.Remove(‘PC2’) i get no output to the screen still, but this time the item has not been removed from the ArrayList.

Hope this helps.

Hi Graham, you are the best.

The problem was that it is case-sensitive. Thanks a lot.

That code works for me. I validated that the cast works and shows the object type as ArrayList. When I do a .Remove(“Name”) it is removed from the list

[Collections.ArrayList]$allepcs = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | Select-Object -ExpandProperty name
"First Count: {0}" -f $allepcs.Count
$allepcs.Remove("RES-ENG-MNGR")
"Second Count: {0}" -f $allepcs.Count
$allepcs.Remove("RES-ENG-DC01")
"Third Count: {0}" -f $allepcs.Count

Output:

First Count: 11
Second Count: 10
Third Count: 9

You can always use the Where filter to exclude the PC’s from the resultset as well.

Pleasure. Always the simple things that trip us up :slight_smile:

Ah, case sensitive. Another mystery solved.