Bulk user validation in AD

I put together a script that imports a csv of samAccountNames and want to simply find out if they exist or now. Would alos like a count of each for on screen display only. Export is not ncessary

I have this:

#check if the service Accounts (allsvc07032018) exists
$Data1 = Import-Csv Service_Accounts.csv 

foreach ($user in $data1){
$Name1 = $user.user
$check = $(try {get-aduser -filter "samAccountName -eq '$Name1'"} catch {$null})
if ($check -ne $null) { }
else { "$Name1 Doesn't Exist" }
}

…but my output all says “Doesn’t Exist” even though I know some do. I’d like to see the samAccountNames and count of those that do exist and samAccountName and count of those that don’t.

$Data1 = Import-Csv Service_Accounts.csv 

$data1 | Select *,
                @{Name="ExistsInAd";Expression={$user=$_.User;@(Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -eq $user}).Count -gt 0 }}
samaccountname                                                                                       ExistsInAd                                                                                          
--------------                                                                                       ----------                                                                                          
rpt_user

…yet I show it does exist:

Get-ADUser rpt_user | select name

name                                                                                                                                                                                                     
----                                                                                                                                                                                                     
rpt_user                                    
I'd like to see the samAccountNames and count of those that do exist and samAccountName and count of those that don't.

You can’t pull data on a non-existent object. 8^} Well, not any way that I know of. 8^}

How about just this.

$UserData = 'Administrator','Guest','allsvc07032018'
$FoundCounter = 0
$NotFoundCounter = 0
$UserData | %{
    try
    { 
        (Get-ADUser -Identity $_).SamAccountName
        $FoundCounter ++
    }
    catch 
    { 
        Write-Warning -Message "$_  was not found" 
        $NotFoundCounter ++
    }
}
"Total found accounts: $FoundCounter"
"Total not found accounts: $NotFoundCounter"

# Results
Administrator
WARNING: (Cannot find an object with identity: 'allsvc07032018' under: 'DC=contoso,DC=com'.  was not found

Total found accounts: 2
Total not found accounts: 1

I tested the code I posted, but it assumed that there was a column in the CSV named “User”. The results you showed had a “SamAccountName” column. This code indicates the column that is passed to Get-ADUser:

$user=$_.User

so if it were samaccountname:

$user=$_.samaccountname

this is how I tested emulating a CSV:

$data1 = @()
$data1 += [pscustomobject]@{User="User1"}
$data1 += [pscustomobject]@{User="User2"}

$data1 | Select *,
                @{Name="ExistsInAd";Expression={$user=$_.User;@(Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -eq $user}).Count -gt 0 }}

also, if you did want counts, then it would be something like this:

$data1 = @()

$results = $data1 | Select *,

"Found: {0}" -f @($results | Where{$_.ExistsInAd -eq $true}).Count
"Not Found: {0}" -f @($results | Where{$_.ExistsInAd -eq $false}).Count

postanote, the only change I made to your script was:

$UserData = Import-Csv MyServiceAccounts.csv
and there is a samAccountName header fyi.

…but nonetheless I get this output

WARNING: Cannot bind parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert value "@{samaccountname=SvcASplunkTUwoPII}" to type "Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADUser"

Rob,

So, taking what I originally posted and adding yours I wager this (notice my adjustment of the $user you correctly observed earlier):

#check if the service Accounts exists in AD
$Data1 = Import-Csv .\Service_Accounts.csv 

$data1 = @()

..but I get no output

@{Name="ExistsInAd";Expression={$user=$_.samAccountName;@(Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -eq $user}).Count -gt 0 }}

$data1 is a variable. The initial post indicated you were using $.User, which meant you were referencing a column named “User”. When you do an Import-CSV, it creates a PSObject, with properties like User. I used a custom object to emulate the CSV with a column named user. In a later post, you were referencing samaccountname. $ is the current object, so $_.User is the user property in the current object. In the code you posted, you import the CSV as $data1 and then overwrite that variable with the $data1 custom object, which contains User, not SamAccountName:

@{Name=“ExistsInAd”;Expression={$user=$_.samAccountName;@(Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -eq $user}).Count -gt 0 }}

So, lets stick with the CSV. Assuming there is a column in the CSV that is SamAccountName that has the names that you want to lookup, your code would be:

#Get the data from the CSV that has a column "SamAccountName"
$Data1 = Import-Csv .\Service_Accounts.csv 

#Pass the $data1 object to a Select and use a calculated property to create a new column called ExistsInAD.
#We then set a variable called $user to the current row to the property samAccountName and perform a AD search.
                           @{Name="ExistsInAd";Expression={$user=$_.samAccountName;@(Get-ADUser -Filter {SamAccountName -eq $user}).Count -gt 0 }}

Rob,

works great. Thank you for the code and the lesson, it is really appreciated.

~Jeff