Basic DNS Record A Creation Script

Hi,

Since we are continously creating DNS records for some of our Linux-Based Server we came up with the idea idea of doing it a little bit more automatize so we though using powershell for it and this was the result:

#Import CSV File
$Data = import-csv -Delimiter ";" -Path .\DNS_List.csv

#Creation of the Session with the DC
$Session = New-PSSession -ComputerName CWVEP009

#Creation of DNS Records according to the CSV File
$Data | ForEach-Object {

$Name = $_.name
    $ZoneName = $_.zonename
    $Ip = [IPAddress]$_.ip

Write-Output $Name
    Write-Output $ZoneName
    Write-Output $Ip

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address '$Ip.IPAddressToString' -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

}

Unfortunately, we were not succesfull with our goal yet because we are getting this error over a over again:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter ‘IPv4Address’. Cannot convert value “$Ip.IPAddressToString” to type “System.Net.IPAddress[]”. Error:
“Cannot convert value “$Ip.IPAddressToString” to type “System.Net.IPAddress”. Error: “An invalid IP address was specified.””
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA], ParameterBindin…mationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentTransformationError,Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA
+ PSComputerName : DC01Test

I ran out of ideas… have you faced something similar??

So, you’re doing a couple of odd things. For one, this:

'$Ip.IPAddressToString'

Won’t work. Single quotes don’t have the magic variable stuff, and even in double quotes you can’t call methods and properties all naked like that.

"$($Ip.IPAddressToString)"

Is what you likely mean. But I don’t understand why you’re doing this; you’ve cast $.ip as [ipaddress], but then you’re just returning a string. Why not just use $.ip as-is, instead of casting it back and forth?

(and those Write-Output commands should technically be Write-Verbose, as what you’re currently outputting is not the intended “result” of your script… but this is a nit-pick, not a functional problem)

Why are you converting $Ip back to a string?

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address '$Ip.IPAddressToString' -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

Call it like this

Invoke-Command -Session $Session -ScriptBlock {Add-DnsServerResourceRecordA -Name '$Name' -ZoneName '$ZoneName' -AllowUpdateAny -IPv4Address $Ip -TimeToLive 01:00:00}

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dnsserver/add-dnsserverresourcerecord?view=win10-ps

Hi bob,

If I call it like that I get the following error:

“Cannot validate argument on parameter ‘IPv4Address’. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.”

Hi Don,

I get the following when I run the script with “$($Ip.IPAddressToString)” suggestion:

Cannot process argument transformation on parameter ‘IPv4Address’. Cannot convert value “” to type “System.Net.IPAddress[]”. Error: "Cannot convert value “” to type

“System.Net.IPAddress”. Error: “An invalid IP address was specified.”"