An item with the same key has

Hi

Using Server 2012R2 and PowerShell 5.

I have created a custom DSC resource (class 5) for running the SharePoint configuration Wizzard (psconfig).

When trying to use the resource i get:

VERBOSE: [vm04]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[PSConfig]psconfig]
VERBOSE: [vm04]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[PSConfig]psconfig]
An item with the same key has already been added.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddPSSnapinCommand
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

VERBOSE: [vm04]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[PSConfig]psconfig]  in 1.1100 seconds.
The PowerShell DSC resource '[PSConfig]psconfig' with SourceInfo '\\share\SharePoint\RoleDataSource\MasterServer.ps1::305::9::Psconfig' threw one or more non-terminating err
ors while running the Test functionality. These errors are logged to the ETW channel called Microsoft-Windows-DSC/Operational. Refer to this channel for more details.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NonTerminatingErrorFromProvider

VERBOSE: [vm04]:                            [] Consistency check completed.
The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed. LCM failed to start desired state configuration manually.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1

What i do in the test method is 1):
Adding the microsoft.sharepoint.powershell snappin:

If  ((Get-PSSnapin -Name microsoft.sharepoint.powershell -EA "SilentlyContinue") -eq $null)
{
    Add-PsSnapin microsoft.sharepoint.powershell
} 

and 2) running a command to check if servers need to upgrade.

Anyone experienced this kind of fault?

brgs

bjørn

Dont know if this is it, but it sounds like you’re trying to add modules to the session and then use it, and I dont think that’s how DSC works. You need the modules to exist when the session initializes or you wont be able to call any of the functions inside the modules.

The reason for adding the sharepoint powershell snapin is that i have a method in the DSCresource that checks if the SharePoint servers need to upgrade.

I have made other modules for sql-operations, where i import-sqlps module without issues though…

I read somewhere that maybe i need to register the sharepoint snapin into my dsc-module manifest…Looking into that.

brgs

Bjørn

Ill post the dsc resource class:

[DscResource()]
class PSConfig
{
    [DscProperty(key)][Ensure]$Ensure

[void]RunPSConfig()
    {

Write-verbose -message "Running PSconfig.exe on $env:COMPUTERNAME. "; Write-verbose -message "Expect 4-10 minutes per Host."
            CD 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN'
            $psconfiginfo = .\Psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

#Check to see if the 6 steps of the psconfig run have run successfully
            If($psconfiginfo -like "*Total number of successful configuration settings: 6*")
            {
                Write-verbose -message "The 6 configuration steps have successfully completed [  OK  ]"
            }
            Else
            {
                Write-verbose -message "Error detected, a configuration step has failed, please review the output bellow. Try restarting affecting server and run this script again." 
                Write-verbose -message $psconfiginfo
                Break
            }
    }

[bool] GetUpgradeStatus ()
    {      
        Add-PSSnapin microsoft.sharepoint.powershell 
        $Status = (get-spserver $env:computername).NeedsUpgrade 
        Return $Status

If ((Get-PsSnapin |?{$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"})-ne $null)
        {
            Write-Verbose "Removing the PowerShell snapin"
            Remove-PsSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null
        } 
    }

[void] Set()
    {
        if ($this.Ensure -eq [Ensure]::Present)
        {
            Write-Verbose -Message "[Running PSConfig]"
            $this.RunPSConfig()
        }
        elseif ($this.Ensure -eq [Ensure]::Absent)
        {
            Write-Verbose -Message "[Absent setting has no logical property:-)]"
        }
    }

[bool] Test()
    {

$ServerNeedsUpgrade = $this.GetUpgradeStatus()
        $there = $false
        If($ServerNeedsUpgrade -eq $true){$there = $true}
        If($There -eq $true){Write-Verbose -Message "[Server requires PSconfig to be run]"}
        If($There -eq $false){Write-Verbose -Message "[Server does not require PSconfig to be run]"}

if ($this.Ensure -eq [Ensure]::Present)
        {
            return $There
        }
        else
        {
            return -not $There
        }
    }

[PSConfig] Get()
    {

if($this.GetUpgradeStatus() -eq $true)
        {
            $this.Ensure = [Ensure]::Present
        }
        else
        {
            $this.Ensure = [Ensure]::Absent
        }

return $this 
    }
} 

From the Microsoft article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/authoringresourceclass

DscProperty(Key): The property is required. The property is a key. The values of all properties marked as keys must combine to uniquely identify a resource instance within a configuration.

Pretty sure you shouldn’t be using the Key attribute on the Ensure property, since there are only 2 values for this and other resources will be using it.

Put your Key attribute on another property

Hi JrdnRgrs,

I did what you suggested. Changed the key to another parameter:

[DscProperty(mandatory)][Ensure]$Ensure
[DscProperty(key)][string]$Configname

However, i get the same fault.

brgs

Bjørn

I’m wondering if it could be connected to loading the sharepoint snapin:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17710233/add-powershell-snapin-for-powershell-module-and-import-multiple-times