Align to left

Hi there
have a quick question
I have a script that checks for messages send/received on servers
pretty simple and it works fine.
I collect all the data to a custom object(server,send,receive)
then output it like this:
$data |Ft -autosize
(I tried other format table kind of views)
the output I get is like this:

Server Send Receive
server1 2 5
server2 10 15

my question is is there away to align the numbers to the left instead of to the right?
of course it isn’t a big deal I just want to learn new things so im interested to know if
its something simple
Thanks

Yep, you can do that, but I can’t seem to find where this is documented to give you a reference:

$properties = @(
    'Server'

@{ Label = 'Send';    Expression = { $_.Send };    Alignment = 'Left' }
    @{ Label = 'Receive'; Expression = { $_.Receive }; Alignment = 'Left' }
)

$data | Format-Table -Property $properties -AutoSize

Most people only use Name (or Label) and Expression when using the hashtable syntax for constructed properties in Format-Table, but you can also set Width and Alignment in there as well.

amazing stuff:)
learn something every day and that’s what I like about it
Thanks again

only one other small question
how would this fit into something like this:

Load psssnapin

if (! (Get-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010 -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue) )

{Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010 -ErrorAction:Stop}

$starttime=(Get-Date).addhours(-2).ToString()

$endtime=(Get-Date).ToString()

$Data = @()

$servers=Get-TransportServer

The servers are processed

ForEach ($server in $servers) {

The commands run on each server.

$Received=($server|invoke-command {get-messagetrackinglog -resultsize unlimited -EventId “receive” -Start $starttime -End $endtime} |?{$_.ConnectorId -match “Anonymous”} |Measure-Object)

$Sent=($server|invoke-command {get-messagetrackinglog -resultsize unlimited -EventId “send” -Start $starttime -End $endtime} |Measure-Object)

$Data +=New-Object PSObject -Property @{

Server = $server

ReceivedMessages = $Received.count 

SentMessages = $Sent.count

}

$Data |FT -AutoSize -Wrap

I’m not sure what you want me to be focusing on, there. The only difference I see (as related to the Format-Table command) is the use of the -Wrap switch, and different property names on the input objects (ReceivedMessage and SentMessages, instead of Receive and Send.) The same idea should work; you just need to pass something to the -Property parameter of Format-Table, and the objects passed to that parameter can be hashtables which define the Alignment and/or Width of a column. (Width is pointless if you’re using -AutoSize, but you get the idea.)

im just not sure if the properties part of the script should go inside the loop(after the custom object)
or out of the loop

got it:)
I just used it at end(out of loop)
like this:

$properties = @(
    'Server'

@{ Label = 'Send';    Expression = { $_.sentmessages
 };    Alignment = 'Left' }
    @{ Label = 'Receive'; Expression = { $_.receivedmessages }; Alignment = 'Left' }
)

$data | Format-Table -Property $properties -AutoSize

Thanks again
I check this forum daily and its just amazing stuff and challenges

That can go just before the call to Format-Table; no need to put it inside a loop.

BTW, found the documentation I was looking for: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849892.aspx . It just doesn’t show up when you run Get-Help Format-Table -ShowWindow, due to a slight problem with that command (only showing the first paragraph of each property’s description.) If you run Get-Help Format-Table -Full , the documentation does show up in the console. In addition to the Alignment and Width keys, there’s one other that I didn’t mention earlier: FormatString. Example:

$data = @(
    [pscustomobject] @{
        Date = Get-Date -Year 2008 -Month 12 -Day 31
    }

[pscustomobject] @{
        Date = Get-Date -Year 2012 -Month 6 -Day 13
    }
)

Write-Verbose -Verbose 'Default date / time formatting for current culture'
$data | Format-Table -AutoSize | Out-Host

Write-Verbose -Verbose 'Specifying format string ("D" for long date pattern of current culture)'
$properties = @{ Label = 'Date'; Expression = { $_.Date }; FormatString = 'D' }
$data | Format-Table -Property $properties -AutoSize | Out-Host

Write-Verbose -Verbose 'Specifying custom format string'
$properties = @{ Label = 'Date'; Expression = { $_.Date }; FormatString = 'ddd, MMM d yyyy' }
$data | Format-Table -Property $properties -AutoSize | Out-Host

Another bit of useful information from that documentation… the Expression can just be a string, if all you’re doing is accessing a property on the input object. No need to write { $_.Date } when just ‘Date’ will do:

$properties = @{ Label = 'Date'; Expression = 'Date'; FormatString = 'ddd, MMM d yyyy' }

Thanks
very interesting