Adding columns to an existing CSV

Hello all -

We’re in the process of identifying all of our users who are still on Windows XP. I have been given a csv file of about 958 users. It contains their SAMAccountName and workstation names. To make our desktop support team’s job easier, I’m trying to output a CSV that retains the workstation names as well as their full name (get-aduser -properties Name) and their location, which is stored in an extended attribute in AD (ExtensionAttribute1). The end result would need to be a CSV that contains the workstation and SAMAccount Names which we already have, and the additional FullName and Location (EA1) properties.

I’m kind of at a loss on where to start. Would I need to create a custom array and then a custom object? These are two areas that I’m a little weak in, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Import-CSV original.csv |
ForEach-Object {

$data1 = 'whatever'
  $data2 = 'hello'

$_ | 
  Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ColumnA -Value $data1 -PassThru |
  Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name ColumnB -Value $data2 -PassThru

} |
Export-CSV revised.csv

Something vaguely like that. You can access the current columns via $, e.g., "$user = Get-ADUser -Identity $.samaccountname" if the current CSV has a samaccountname column. Import-CSV brings in the CSV as objects, Add-Member adds properties to those objects, and Export-CSV writes the revised objects back to a CSV.

This worked perfectly. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply Don, this post helped me a lot!

Is it possible to save changes to an existing .csv file? I tried but then .csv became empty.

You can simplify this adding an expression to the data you retrieve from the csv. I’m a scratch scripting golfer :slight_smile:

[pscustomobject]@{one=‘firstcol’;two=‘secondcol’} | select one,two,@{n=‘more’;e={‘moredata’}}