ActiveDirectory find all groups a user is member off

Hi

I can succesfully export a list from a given adgroup to csv

Get-AdGroupMember -identity "Office365" | select samaccountname |export-csv -path c:\output\office_teams_sam.csv -NoTypeInformation

now I want to use this list to search through AD to find other groups where they are member of

only I don’t know how this is done can you help me out please

almost there,

You can iterate through each element in CSV and do a Get-ADUser on each name with -Properties memberof

# below code inside Foreach 
Get-ADUser $CurrentUser.samaccountname -Properties memberof | Export-CSv -Path <csv_path> -NoTypeInformation

Hi I still get an error here

$OfficeTeamsUser = Import-Csv -Path C:\output\office_teams_sam.csv
foreach ($CurrentUser in $OfficeTeamsUser){
Get-ADUser $CurrentUser.SamAccountName -Properties memberof |Export-csv -path C:\Temp\output.csv -NoTypeInformation
}

when I use samaccountname I get this error
Get-ADUser : Cannot validate argument on parameter ‘Identity’. The argument is null. Provide a valid value for the argument, and then try running the command again.
At line:3 char:12

• Get-ADUser $CurrentUser.SamAccountName -Properties memberof |Export-c …
  • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:slight_smile: [Get-ADUser], ParameterBindingValidationException
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

when I use $CurrentUser.name I get only 1 entry in my Csv

make sure there is a value in $CurrentUser.SamAccountname

I’ve got 1 column in my CSV with header and from row 2 all the users
“SamAccountName”
“dally”

by preference I would like to search through 5 different office groups (group 1 to 5) search for all the users in there. these need to be exported to a csv file with

1colum with the username and the second with all the groups he’s member of example

“dally”,“Office365”, “Office365_Admins”

thanks for your help

I ran across this not too long ago. I don’t think this is the original post I used but should work:
https://techibee.com/active-directory/powershell-how-to-get-all-the-ad-groups-current-user-belongs/1672

Hello,

Is did like this, is this ok?

This my first post, where I have included code, I hope this ok…

$result = @()
$OfficeTeamsUsers = Get-AdGroupMember -identity "Office365" | select samaccountname

foreach($user in $OfficeTeamsUsers) {
    $memberof = Get-ADUser $User.samaccountname -Properties memberof 

$table = New-Object psobject
    $table | Add-Member -NotePropertyName "samaccountname" -NotePropertyValue $User.samaccountname
    $table | Add-Member -NotePropertyName "memberof" -NotePropertyValue $memberof

$result += $table
   $table = $null
}

$result | Export-CSv -Path C:\Temp\output.csv -NoTypeInformation

Hello,

Is did like this, is this ok?

This my first post, where I have included code, I hope this ok…

$result = @()
$OfficeTeamsUsers = Get-AdGroupMember -identity "Office365" | select samaccountname

foreach($user in $OfficeTeamsUsers) {
    $memberof = Get-ADUser $User.samaccountname -Properties memberof 

$table = New-Object psobject
    $table | Add-Member -NotePropertyName "samaccountname" -NotePropertyValue $User.samaccountname
    $table | Add-Member -NotePropertyName "memberof" -NotePropertyValue $memberof

$result += $table
    $table = $null
}

$result | Export-CSv -Path C:\Temp\output.csv -NoTypeInformation

Don’t over think this. This is a very common daily thing. Really a PowerShell ADDS 101 thing.

There are already pre-built scripts on the MS powershellgallery.com for this use case and more. AS well as all over the internet.

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages?q=%27group+member%27

See also:

Find Circular Nested Groups
PowerShell script to find any instances of Circular Nested Groups in the domain.

Get nested group membership - function
This function will recursively enumerate members of a given group along with nesting level and parent group information. If there is a circular membership, it will be displayed in Comment column.It accepts input from pipeline and works well with get-adgroup.
Browse code samples | Microsoft Learn

It also could be as simple as this…

Get-ADUser userName –Properties MemberOf).MemberOf

Or even as simple as this…

Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership username | select name

If you really want to get elegant about this… then see this…

http://vcloud-lab.com/entries/active-directory/powershell-active-directory-list-complete-hierarchy-of-upstream-nested-groups-recursively-of-user

Powershell: List Active Directory group hierarchy