acl.removeaccessrule not working - need assistance with ACL permissions

Hello,

I want to read the list of security permissions (acl) on a folder. I then want to check if a particular user is part of the ACL. If the user is indeed part of the ACL, then I would like to remove him from the ACL.

I have run the code below and the system does find a match and executes the appropriate line to delete access.

However, the variable that has the access permisssions stored in it does not get properly updated. Therefore I am not applying the correct permissions (the new permissions that I am trying to set without the user in question). The variable that holds the permissions does not get modified, even though system says that it is updated.

I am using powershell version 5, running on Windows 10 professional build 1903

I can manually change the permissions with my account, but not via powershell.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Solomin

===================

I use the following code:

#######################################################

$aclperso = ""

$sname = "test100"

$homedrive = "\\bank\perso\"       

$UserHomeDrive=$homedrive+$sname

$aclname = "bank\"+$sname

$acl = Get-ACL -Path $userhomedrive

$acl.SetAccessRuleProtection($True, $True)

set-Acl -Path $userhomedrive -AclObject $acl

##  above line removes inheritance from acl - i.e it disables inheritance (this command works)

$acl = Get-ACL -Path $userhomedrive

$acl.Access | Where-Object {$_.IdentityReference -eq $aclname} | Foreach-Object {$acl.RemoveAccessRule($_) | Out-Null} 

#### above command is supposed to remove user test100.budman from ACL

#### if I check the value of $acl and acl.access, the values for test100.budman are still stored inside the variable and not deleted.

#### what is strange is the system returns True that a value has been deleted (access permisssions removed) but it is not deleted

Set-acl -path $userhomedrive -aclobject $acl

write-host " "

#############################################################################