A few comments on ISE (editor)

by lemoncoke at 2013-02-11 12:02:15

I am using the PowerShell ISE 3.0 on Windows 8 going through PowerShell in Depth (Manning) book. This task requires a lot of text editing in ISE Editor and that in turn makes me wish to have some of the nice features available in Visual Studio editor:

[list]View white space
Block indentation of selected text
Detection of matching braces
Format document[/list]

PowerShell ISE is a very powerful tool, allowing relatively easy construction of complex scripts, making the need for a more powerful editor easy to grasp.

Any chance that somebody is working on that already?
by DonJ at 2013-02-11 12:13:01
So, you should know that this is a community-run site, nothing owned by Microsoft, and it’s rare for team members to drop by. Suggestions are more properly submitted through Connect.Microsoft.com, which produces tickets that the product team can review.

Some of what you’re asking for can probably be done through an add-on, produced either by the team or (more likely) by someone in the community.

You can already do block indentation, though. Select a block and hit Tab, or Shift+Tab to un-indent. I do it all the time. There’s also matching brace detection, although it can be easy to miss. You get a very light grey highlight around the matched brace when you move the cursor to one side of a brace (or bracket, or parentheses, etc).

So that just leaves you with viewing white space, which the ISE doesn’t natively do, and formatting. I know the latter COULD be done by an add-in.

You could also look into a commercial tool. The ISE’s a great free tool, and PowerShell Plus and PowerGUI are also free and more full-featured. PrimalScript isn’t free, but it has everything you’re asking for, as does PowerShell Studio.
by DonJ at 2013-02-11 12:13:33
Oh, and thank you for buying PowerShell In Depth :). I hope you enjoy it!