Two cmdlets only being returned from Get-Command with wildcards via Invoke-Comma

This is a continuation of a previous post, but I thought I’d start it clean and explain what I’ve found.

OK, riddle me this Batman.

If I run the following bit of code (I’ve temporarily commented out the -ErrorAction parameter to see what results I would get):

$Name = '*'
$Module = '*'
$Computer = 'localhost'
$GCScriptBlock = {
                   $ConfirmImpactLevelExpr = @{
                                                Name = 'ConfirmImpactLevel';
                                                Expression = {$_.ImplementingType.GetCustomAttributes($True).ConfirmImpact}
                                              }
                   Get-Command -Name Stop-* -CommandType Cmdlet -Module $Using:Module | Select-Object -Property Name,CommandType,ModuleName,$ConfirmImpactLevelExpr
                 }
$ImpactLevelData = Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Computer -ScriptBlock $GCScriptBlock #-ErrorAction Stop

I get the below errors on just these two cmdlets:

The term ‘Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole:String) [Get-Command], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand
+ PSComputerName : localhost

The term ‘Block-GPInheritance’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included,
verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Block-GPInheritance:String) [Get-Command], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCommandCommand
+ PSComputerName : localhost

Ok, now for the strange part. I focused on the Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole cmdlet. Here is what I found.

Note: Keep in mind, I’m doing this all on the same machine, same ISE.

1. No matter what combination of parameters & wildcards I used, either the same error from above occurred when I tried to use Get-Command to look for the Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole cmdlet, or the cmdlet was not in the resulting list.

–Commands I tried:

a. First Set:

Get-Command -Name Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole <--- Error occurred

Note: Same error occurred when I tried to do the following:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -ScriptBlock {Get-Command -Name Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole}

b. Second Set:

Get-Command -Name Add-* -Module IscsiTarget <--- I know this is the Module the cmdlet is a part of from my testing (See further down).

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
-----------     ----                                               -------    ------
Cmdlet          Add-IscsiVirtualDiskTargetMapping                  2.0.0.0    IscsiTarget

Note: Same output occurred when I did the following:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -ScriptBlock {Get-Command -Name Add-* -Module IscsiTarget}

c. Third Set:

Get-Command -Name * -CommandType Cmdlet  -Module IscsiTarget <--- The cmdlet was not in the list.

Note: Same output occurred when I did the following:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -ScriptBlock {Get-Command -Name * -CommandType Cmdlet  -Module IscsiTarget}

d. Etc…

Now, if I used Invoke-Command in combination with wildcards(i.e. * OR Add-*), the cmdlet showed up in the list. So, the following commands listed the command. None of the below Get-Command commands listed the Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole outside Invoke-Command.

1. First One:
Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -ScriptBlock {Get-Command -Name * -CommandType Cmdlet}

CommandType     Name                               Version    Source        PSComputerName
-----------     ----                               -------    ------        --------------
Cmdlet          Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole   2.0.0.0    IscsiTarget   localhost
  1. Second One:
Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -ScriptBlock {Get-Command -Name * -CommandType Cmdlet  -Module *}

CommandType     Name                               Version    Source        PSComputerName
-----------     ----                               -------    ------        --------------
Cmdlet          Add-ClusteriSCSITargetServerRole   2.0.0.0    IscsiTarget   localhost

Hope someone has an idea what's going on. This is driving me nuts.

I have no idea what’s going on and have spent far too long trying, in vain, to figure this out. I played with the GroupPolicy module and found the ‘Block-GPInheritance’ cmdlet to be really inconsistent in making an appearance.

What I have found, that may point you in the right direction, is that for some reason neither of these commands are listed when running

Get-Module GroupPolicy | Select -ExpandProperty ExportedCommands
or
Get-Module iSCSITarget | Select -ExpandProperty ExportedCommands

but the cmdlets are listed as exported in the module manifests.

Sorry you spent so much time on this, but I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing something goofy here. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile: