Trying to retrieve some info on usb audio device

Hello,

This is my first post here, i need to retrieve info from device manager and the tab details and the property = “parent”

I use this ps code:

gwmi Win32_USBControllerDevice |%{[wmi]($_.Dependent)} | Where-Object {$_.Service -match 'usbaudio' } | Sort Manufacturer,Name,Parent | Ft -GroupBy Manufacturer Name,Parent

But the property “parent” is returning empty every time, while its not empty in windows.

Does someone know how to retrieve correctly the info from this property “parent” please ?

thanks

hello and welcome to forums!

You can specify whatever instead of parent and it will turn out blank:

gwmi Win32_USBControllerDevice |%{[wmi]($_.Dependent)} | Where-Object {$_.Service -match 'mouhid' } | select ASDF

Output:

ASDF
----

A solution is to select a member that exists, to get a list of available members run:

gwmi Win32_USBControllerDevice |%{[wmi]($_.Dependent)} | Where-Object {$_.Service -match 'mouhid' } | gm

But obviously there is no “Parent” member, so maybe it’s called something else in PS

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

It required some digging to get the parent information. As always Get-Member is your friend for exploring the properties and methods of objects. Try this:

(Get-WmiObject Win32_USBControllerDevice | 
    ForEach-Object { [WMI]($_.Dependent) } | 
        Where-Object { $_.Service -match 'usbaudio' }).GetDeviceProperties('DEVPKEY_Device_Parent') | 
            Select-Object -ExpandProperty DeviceProperties | 
                Select-Object Data
1 Like

Thanks for the help, managed to find the answer

I had posted this question also on microsoft forums yesterday, and another user came with almost the same answer as yours, and it works, thanks for your help:

This is the solution if this could help others too :

ForEach ($Device in (gwmi Win32_USBControllerDevice | ForEach {[wmi]($_.Dependent)} |
Where-Object {$_.Service -match 'usbaudio'})){

[PSCustomObject]@{

Manufacturer = $Device.Manufacturer

Name = $Device.Name

Parent = (Get-PnpDeviceProperty -InstanceId $Device.PNPDeviceID -KeyName DEVPKEY_Device_Parent).Data

}

}