Ensure = "Present"
            Name   = "Web-Mgmt-Console"
        }

xDscWebService PSDSCPullServer
        {
            Ensure                  = "Present"
            EndpointName            = "PSDSCPullServer"
            Port                    = 8080
            PhysicalPath            = "$env:SystemDrive\inetpub\wwwroot\PSDSCPullServer"
            CertificateThumbPrint   = "AllowUnencryptedTraffic"
            ModulePath              = "$env:PROGRAMFILES\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Modules"
            ConfigurationPath       = "$env:PROGRAMFILES\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Configuration"
            State                   = "Started"
            DependsOn               = "[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature"
        }

xDscWebService PSDSCComplianceServer
        {
            Ensure                  = "Present"
            EndpointName            = "PSDSCComplianceServer"
            Port                    = 9080
            PhysicalPath            = "$env:SystemDrive\inetpub\wwwroot\PSDSCComplianceServer"
            CertificateThumbPrint   = "AllowUnencryptedTraffic"
            State                   = "Started"
            #IsComplianceServer      = $true
            DependsOn               = ("[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature","[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer")
        }
    }
}

# Generate MOF
CreatePullServer -ComputerName vm06

# push the MOF
Start-DscConfiguration C:\windows\System32\CreatePullServer -wait -verbose -force

Runs fine,
However when I try to browse the pullserver site, I’m met with “Service Unavailable”, “HTTP Error 503. The Service is unavailable”.

In the IIS i see that the Application Pool for the Pull server and Compliance Server “PSWS” has stopped.
I try to start it, and browse to the sites, but the application pool keeps stopping.

Anyone seen this?

Brgs

Bjørn

Hi,

I had the same issue you can check my post

https://powershell.org/forums/topic/defaultapppool-crashes-after-pullserver-installation/

Stan

Hi Stan,

Excellent thank you very much!

Brgs

Bjørn

Hi Stan
Unfortunately my fault isn’t the same as yours I see.
For one thing, it was my Pullserver appPool that stops (using a workaround, explained further down).

What led me here is the following:

Using Server 2012R2 with WMF 4. I downloaded the latest XPSDesiredStateConfiguration Module. (Note i had to comment out #IsComplianceServer = $true, since this parameter does not exist in the module).

Setup the configuration like above post, except I’m also using a certificate for the website.
This initially gave me an error like:

#RUN MOF
Start-DscConfiguration -Path $MofConfigDirectory -Wait -verbose -ComputerName "localhost" -force

VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, ''methodName' = SendConfigurationApply,'className' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' = root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer vm06 with user sid S-1-5-21-195968190-741174349-770780043-93293.
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Set      ]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature]
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature] The operation 'Get-WindowsFeature' started: DSC-Service
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature] The operation 'Get-WindowsFeature' succeeded: DSC-Service
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature]  in 0.2190 seconds.
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Skip   Set      ]  [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Resource ]  [[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[WindowsFeature]Auth]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[WindowsFeature]Auth]
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[WindowsFeature]Auth] The operation 'Get-WindowsFeature' started: web-windows-Auth
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[WindowsFeature]Auth] The operation 'Get-WindowsFeature' succeeded: Web-Windows-Auth
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[WindowsFeature]Auth]  in 0.2190 seconds.
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Skip   Set      ]  [[WindowsFeature]Auth]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Resource ]  [[WindowsFeature]Auth]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer]
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer]
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Check Ensure
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] The Website PSDSCPullServer is not present
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer]  in 0.0150 seconds.
VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ Start  Set      ]  [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer]
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Create the IIS endpoint
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Setting up endpoint at - https://vm06:8080/PSDSCPullServer.svc
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Verify that the certificate with the provided thumbprint exists in CERT:\LocalMachine\MY\
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Checking IIS requirements
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Delete the App Pool if it exists
VERBOSE: [vm06]:                            [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer] Remove the site if it already exists
Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' because it does not exist.
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Windows\Syst...dCertModule.dll:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' because it does not exist.
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Windows\SysW...dCertModule.dll:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand

VERBOSE: [vm06]: LCM:  [ End    Set      ]  [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCPullServer]  in 1.7040 seconds.
The PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_xDSCWebService threw one or more non-terminating errors while running the Set-TargetResource functionality. These errors are logged to the ETW channel called Microsoft-Windows-DSC/Operational. Refer to this channel f
or more details.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NonTerminatingErrorFromProvider

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
VERBOSE: Time taken for configuration job to complete is 2.329 seconds 

A workaround to get the configuration to run properly was to:
I “solved” this by copying the ‘IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll’ from another server (Server 2012R2 WMF5) to the two locations:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer
But trying to visit the site made the Pull servers applicationPool stop.
(I then removed the pull server again, and deleted these files and tried to run the configuration again. I was met with the same configuration errors as above).

Looking more closely for errors I found with:

Get-EventLog -LogName Application | Select-Object -Property EntryType,Source,Message | fl *
EntryType : Error
Source    : W3SVC-WP
Message   : The Module DLL 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a x86 processor architecture. The data field co
            ntains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=29349.

Any thoughts?

Brgs

Bjørn

Hmm
I got my pull server site working by deleting the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll and getting a fresh copy from my other server. Weird. I shall try to do a new Pull Server deploy on another server to see if I can recreate the issue.

Brgs

Bjørn

I removed the Pull server with the “Absent” settings in the configuration. Restarted the server and tried to deploy Pull Server again.

When running the mof I got more interesting errors: -)

Custom event details:

EntryType : Warning
Message   : There was an error during processing of the managed application service auto-start for application pool: 'PSWS'.  Some application services may not have been processed correctly.  Please check the configuration for application service au
            to-start for the application(s) assigned to this application pool.  The data field contains the error code.

Message   : There was an error during processing of the managed application service auto-start for application pool: 'PSWS'.  Some application services may not have been processed correctly.  Please check the configuration for application service au
            to-start for the application(s) assigned to this application pool.  The data field contains the error code.

Message   : The Module DLL C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.

Message   : The Module DLL C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.

Message   : The Module DLL 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a x86 processor architecture. The data field co
            ntains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=29349.

HI

Using my Pull Server configuration I removed the Pull Server. Restarted the server and then added the Pull Server again. This gave me some more errors and it failed in the same way as before:

Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' because it does not exist. + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Windows\Syst...dCertModule.dll:) [], CimException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.CopyItemCommand + PSComputerName : localhost

Cannot find path ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll’ because it does not exist.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Windows\SysW…dCertModule.dll:) [], CimException
+ PSComputerName : localhost

The new errors I found were:

Custom event details:

So I deleted the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll again and copied from my other server (server 2012R2 WMF 5). Reran the Mof, and it was successful.
I can now browse to my pull server xml.

brgs

Bjørn

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I guess there is something fishy about the latest versions of xPSDesiredStateConfiguration and the compatibility with WMF4.
When I started my tests with Pull servers I decided to start directly with WMF5 (I believe there is no point in using an old version) and I didn’t have any problems with the pull server setup (except the default app pool crashes). So I recommend to you to go for WMF5.

Best regards,
Stan

Hi Stan

We order new servers from a service provider here, so we get MS server 2012R2 with only WMF 4. Thats why it was handy to have a way to update these servers. The client also asked if we could use the DSC to update to WMF using DSC. So here we are:-)
It works.

brgs

Bjørn

hi

Probelm only an WMF4.0. Am work out an windows 2012 server

1. Install the WMF5.0 in window svr 2012 --> Reboot need

2. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.
    – Install IIS. Select all of the default options, plus “Tracing”.
    – Run dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:ManagementOdata
    – Run dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:DSC-Service
    – Run $env:windir\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i